50 hp Johnson question

kywildcat

Seaman
I'm looking at buying a 20' pontoon that has a 50 horse Johnson; a 1998 year model. This is just your basic pontoon, nothing fancy. I was wondering if anyone if anyone could give me an idea of the speed this engine would push this boat and also just a general opinion of the engine. I've always been an inboard user, but I think I may swap the runabout for a 'toon just to have a little more movin' around room. Thanks in advance for any responses.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 50 hp Johnson question

Don't know about how fast, depends on weight of the boat. You ain't gonna be pulling skiers with it but it would be adequate for a party barge and fishing.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the motor is fantastic, speed has too many variables. the most important thing you have to do, to increase the life of the motor, is to prop it correctly for the boat. you want that motor to turn at least 5500 rpms, at wide open throttle. you have to use the correct prop to achieve this. if not you will be either over revving the motor, or lugging the motor at lower speeds.

90Bayliner

Recruit
50 hp Johnson question

Hi,

I have a 1958 50 hp Johnson engine that work fine but one day it won't start. I have the battery full charge, new spark plug, and new starter. I can hear the electricity is moving to the starter but the starter won't spin and engine won't fire up. Is there a problem with my "Kill Switch"? It never happen like this before. I haven't use the boat for just 1 week. Any professional advise? All the cable in good conditions. Engine look cleans.

Thank you,
Thomas

timmers

Cadet

I have a 97 ,50 hp. need to know how to replace the Fuel auto oiler.

to use Premix In the tank. Just Mix it and go.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Remove the tank, plug the oil inlet line at the engine, disconnect the small electrical harness going into the pump just beneath the pump, fill with premix (50:1) and go.

timmers

Cadet

i Have a 50 hp johnson,97model. Looking for a way to elimimate the oil tank
It would be nice to mix the fuel and just pour it in an go. Not be concered
how the mixing getting done.Is there any problems with this engine.?:):):)

Jeep Man

Commander

i Have a 50 hp johnson,97model. Looking for a way to elimimate the oil tank
It would be nice to mix the fuel and just pour it in an go. Not be concered
how the mixing getting done.Is there any problems with this engine.?:):):)

You've latched onto an old thread with a different topic. You would get better results by creating your own thread in the "repair and maintenance " section under Johnson/Evinrude. BTW welcome to the forum.

timmers

Cadet

Hi.
I have a question?
J50PL99n?
I cannot find what this number means.
Thank You,

Timmers

timmers

Cadet

Hi,
I am trying to get the year of my Motor..J50PL99m, i tried 3 places they dont have it ? Listed?

2nd question; The Transmon In my boat has dryness on one side.port. the stringers that are the back seat support are rotten. How To check ths transom?
The motor Is mounted in back....way back,on a 5/16 alum alloy bracket..
19"and 6" high wide 24" long...It looks Original? The boat is a Jupiter V..69..
3rd The is a 20" square Plate onthe inside Bolted 1/2 Thru. So This bracket
Hangs off the back. Is it Factory? I have already strippen the floor dowd to Bare Plywood and soft spot all over.
I am a 'newbie'.
I read the Ques and Answers Often.
Thank you for Your Help.
tim

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL

I don't have a 50 HP Johnson, any ideas!