50 hp high speed misfire

The Force power

Commander
No I haven't. What would that do?
A faulty rectifier can cause the ignition-system to misfire at high-speed
Are you using the correct spark-plug that this engine is prescribed?
Are you running this on muffs or in a test tank in gear?
Ideally it would be best to run it on water full tilt for a bit to clear/clean the whole system

Last edited:

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A faulty rectifier can cause the ignition-system to misfire at high-speed
Are you using the correct spark-plug that this engine is prescribed?
Are you running this on muffs or in a test tank in gear?
Ideally it would be best to run it on water full tilt for a bit to clear/clean the whole system
Oh okay cool. Didn't know what rectifiers do. I will try disconnecting it and see what happens. Now it only misses while revving down. Revving up it's super smooth. I was running in a test tank without the prop. I know it's best to use a test wheel but I don't have one. I'll have to get it out on the water and do a test run for sure. I think it needs to be run pretty good for sure. Lots of blue smoke, and when I had the PH off there was so much sludge in the exhaust system. Do fuel pump diaphragms get worn out? Or just tear and then need replacement?

The Force power

Commander
Now it only misses while revving down. Revving up it's super smooth. I was running in a test tank without the prop. I know it's best to use a test wheel but I don't have one
There's your answer! running it without a prop will make it sound like a misfire! put a prop on and it will not sound like it.
Do fuel pump diaphragms get worn out? Or just tear and then need replacement?
They can tear that's an easy check (although I'm not familiar with your engine)

Nordin

Commander
Yes as The Force power says when throttling down when running in a tank and without a prop some two strokers can behave like it is misfire.
I think it depends on if it is a cross flow engine or a loop charger.
From my experience it will arise more at 2 cylinders then 3 or 4 cylinders.
Maybe some other can chime in at explain more why it happens.
Check the fuel pump diaphragm and change it if it is stiff.
The 50Hp use the same diaphragm as the larger 3 and 4 cylinder engines.
Actually it has the same fuel pump as the 3 and 4 cylinders.
The 140 and 150Hp Chryslers had two fuel pumps.
The diaphragm is cheap and you can buy a kit with the gaskets included.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There's your answer! running it without a prop will make it sound like a misfire! put a prop on and it will not sound like it.

They can tear that's an easy check (although I'm not familiar with your engine)
Oh okay awesome! So my engine must be good to go then that's been my only problem up to this point. How did my idle sound in that video? Because Ive never owned a properly running force, I don't know how it's supposed to sound. Oh okay I gotcha. I checked my diaphragm and it looked stretched out. The new ones look perfectly flat.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes as The Force power says when throttling down when running in a tank and without a prop some two strokers can behave like it is misfire.
I think it depends on if it is a cross flow engine or a loop charger.
From my experience it will arise more at 2 cylinders then 3 or 4 cylinders.
Maybe some other can chime in at explain more why it happens.
Check the fuel pump diaphragm and change it if it is stiff.
The 50Hp use the same diaphragm as the larger 3 and 4 cylinder engines.
Actually it has the same fuel pump as the 3 and 4 cylinders.
The 140 and 150Hp Chryslers had two fuel pumps.
The diaphragm is cheap and you can buy a kit with the gaskets included.
I think mine is a cross flow? Not sure I'll double check. Okay sweet yeah that makes so much sense. I'll get it out on the water in a few weeks and see how it does. I tried not to run it too much without the prop too, I can't imagine that's good for the motor. Yup my diaphragm was still and stuck in a dish shape. I will order a new one. Sometimes the motor sounds like its getting pauses in fuel delivery.

Nordin

Commander
The Force power, yes of course the no load situation with no prop will cause the stumbling acting, you are right.
My experience is that the cross flow engines like Chrysler/Force are more sensitive to it then OMCs and Mercs that are loop charged and direct charged.
2 cylinders are more sensitive than 3 or 4 cylinders
But it is my felling and experience, no scientifically conclusion behind it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
ANYTIME!!! you have a miss you should do the starting fluid test.
Start the motor, spray starting fluid around the intake side .
This includes under the coil/pack bracket the carb bases and around the port covers.
If the spray makes any difference?? then it's got a bad gasket and sucking air.

The Force power

Commander
But it is my felling and experience, no scientifically conclusion behind it.
:D yeah, I discovered this by running a late '70's Merc. with no LU and it did the exact same thing.
and for cooling.......I had shoved a garden-hose onto the copper water-tube.
Man, it was loud!!!! without having water as a sound damper. lol

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ANYTIME!!! you have a miss you should do the starting fluid test.
Start the motor, spray starting fluid around the intake side .
This includes under the coil/pack bracket the carb bases and around the port covers.
If the spray makes any difference?? then it's got a bad gasket and sucking air

Sorry Jerry, yeah I sprayed it down with starter fluid earlier on, found a leak behind the carb but the problem persisted. I believe my problem was when I was trying to tune my motor, I was using a cheap induction tach. Worked pretty well, and according to instructions I was to set my tach to 2 pulse per revolution. Since then, I learning on another thread that my motor likely uses 4 pulse per revolution. So in my attempt to adjust the idle as per the manual, I tried adjusting the idle screw from 1600 rpm (actually 800) down to 800 rpm (actually 400). The motor ran terrible, hence me starting this thread. Big facepalm. So putting that out there. I since set it back to what I believe is the right idle rpm and the motor seems to run well. You could balance a glass on wine on the cowl while I rev it! Almost at least haha. My only remaining issue was the bucking while revving down, which as we have established is likely a result of running in a tank with no prop.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, behind the screens from the recirculating.
Carefully remove the screens and you'll see a tiny hole, poke with stiff wire through or blow compressed air through
Oh okay I see. Yup I cleaned the recirc plate thoroughly. I had to take the PH off last week to replace the exhaust gasket so I did it then. Lots of junk in my recirc, especially in the screens. Are there any check valves beyond the reeds that I should be concerned with? I tried blowing and sucking air through the tubes after the recirc plate and I could just about get air both ways.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also, how should the timing marks on my motor look with a timing light, at cranking speed and WOT? It's a prestolite system.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The timing on these motors rarely goes out of adjustment.---Well a sheared flywheel key throws timing out.----And no you can not find a sheared key condition with a timing light.---Well , at least not on most motors.