50 hp 2 stroke 5 wire voltage regulator not charging

hevysrf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
90's 50 hp with a 815279- 3, 5 wire volt regulator, two yellow, two red, one grey for tach, not charging. 2 yellow wires from stator have continuity and produce 19 volts at idle, but battery terminal voltage does not rise above 12.5. Is there a way to confirm faulty regulator? New is $100, would like to be sure before I change parts. Thanks MartyD

hevysrf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 50 hp 2 stroke 5 wire voltage regulator not charging

I replaced one of the yellow wire's bullet connector, the clear plastic covering was blackened, and the wire was green underneath and I am now charging. Perhaps there was enough resistance there to drop the voltage, or maybe I am chasing an intermittent problem. MartyD

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 50 hp 2 stroke 5 wire voltage regulator not charging

I replaced one of the yellow wire's bullet connector, the clear plastic covering was blackened, and the wire was green underneath and I am now charging. Perhaps there was enough resistance there to drop the voltage, or maybe I am chasing an intermittent problem. MartyD

That's a common problem. For some reason the ace engineers figure those 10 amp bullets can carry 20 amps if it's AC. I replace them with soldered and insulated splices and have no troubles.