50 Evinrude sunk & revived

gdoss2005

Cadet
Recently my Evinrude 50272C Serial # E01187 sunk with a piece of boat attahed to it. I got it out and cranked one time. It is stuck in gear. I need manuals on it and Evinrude Selectric push button controls. Am trying to piece back together on another boat. I've been reading post for last three hours. Looks like you guys know your stuff.<br /> south GA Redneck

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 50 Evinrude sunk & revived

Well just to get the ball rolling, how long ago was recently and was the motor running when it when it went for the swim? was it salt or fresh water? how long was it under?

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

try real lowerunit manual type no parts for selectric shift there one time use if electrick wiring to lowerunit melts to ground it's in gear all time in motor my forty i changed to manual gear case two motor's to one was no parts for mine

gdoss2005

Cadet

Boat sunk on Monday before Thnksgiving. Got it out Thanksgiving day. Dried out and oiled next day. removed carb and oiled with WD-40 and sprayed in cylinders. Used two cans. Got starter fixed and ran with no spark plugs for 2 or 3 minutes. Put plugs back in and got it to crank one time Tuesday PM. Will still turn over but will not crank. Locked in gear. Motor was running fine when boat sunk. Used new gas with extra oil to crank first time. It sunk in fresh water.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Did it hit the water running fine? You said it sunk with a piece of the boat attached, I take it that had to be a piece of the transom. Did it pull the wiring harness in two?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For now you may need to drop the l/u, clamp a water hose to the water tube and see if you can get the motor running. Not sure if there would have been damage done to the wiring/solenoids in the l/u. If it was running when it went in it could well have done damage to any number of ign/elec. components.<br /><br />Does that sound about right RJ?

gdoss2005

Cadet

It was NOT running when it went under. I still have boat and motor attached. Was going to put on a better boat if i got it running. I still have everything hooked up at this time. It turned over and had to drag out on its top. Messed up controls when getting out of water. Motor ran fine about a month before it sank. Sorry to mislead you.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Don't those default to forward until they start?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think some do, not sure about all though. Have you checked for spark yet? if no spark you need to troubleshoot some ign. parts, you might try unplugging the harness and see if you can jump it at the solenoid.

gdoss2005

Cadet

It actually has cranked one time since sinking. Spark is fine, just will not turn fast enough to crank in gear. I unplugged the wiring harness and it cranked that one time, but no luck with getting out of gear. Eletronics are all messed up and wires are broken on controls. I think motor is going to be fine if I can just get it to crank one more time.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may need to replace the starter motor and solenoid or at least make sure their working properly. Have you pulled the flywheel yet?<br /><br />Honestly I'm kind of grasping at straws here too, its not something I've had to deal with nor do I look forward to it. I suppose you could always go at it with the rope start to see if you can get it to turn the crank, might also give an indication of any internal damage as well.<br /><br />Just as a note the manual recommends the motor be disassembled!

gdoss2005

Cadet

If I take the l/u off can I get it out of gear manually. I,m going to have more time tomorrow and thought I would try that. Starter is brand new. Motor turns over in wha..wha..wha.. fashion. Never gets enough revs/min to actually crank. Selectric controls are useless at this time. Have to jump soleniod to get any fire to starter. Is there any type of kill switch that would prevent it from cranking if wiring harness is unplugged?

gdoss2005

Cadet

What year model is this motor? Model 50272C Serial # E01187. What kind of controls could I convert to if Selectric is damaged beyond repair?

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by gdoss2005:<br /> What year model is this motor? Model 50272C Serial # E01187. What kind of controls could I convert to if Selectric is damaged beyond repair?
That is a 1972 and you can often find controls on ebay. I've bought 3 there.

gdoss2005

Cadet

Thanks Alden. I can at least see if it is working. Got any ideas on what to do about another shifter? Thank also to Joe

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Also, you need a fully charged good battery and CLEAN TIGHT connections in the starter circuit. A little bad connection can cause big headaches.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Way to go Alden, that should do the trick as far as getting the l/u out of the picture for now. The really important thing is to get the motor running now, you can worry about the controls later I think.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Joe Reeves invented the outboard motor as far as I'm concerned. His posts have helped me a ton.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DITTO to that :D