Chief Petty Officer
1991 four winns 225 sundowner 351 ford
read post #5 new issue

Last edited:

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5.8l stalls over idle

Firstly, you do NOT have to remove the manifolds to change the plugs. All you need is a good universal joint adapter for your socket.
If you're stumbling in gear , and running smoothly in neutral only, the you need to check the operation of the switches in your Electronic Shift Assist (ESA) system. It's designed to briefly interrupt the spark so that you can shift out of gear easily. If it's getting stuck in the "on" position it can prevent the engine from running smoothly. You can search the threads here to find more information about it.

donzi gt230

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So after the 2000rpm stalling in the fall you just parked it and now it's worse? No surprise. Once you know your ignition is up to snuff the carburetor would likely be the cause. If you can't get the plugs out it's your tool, there's no need to remove the manifolds. I too have a little difficulty getting a socket in there sometimes and I use a thin Snap-on. As for the plugs I'd get rid of those platinums and buy standard autolite or motorcraft plugs-or whatever the boat shop sells if you wanna go that route; those platinums are likely to cause you problems so please get them out. Before we even start; I know spark plug wars can get as nasty as oil wars. I only say what I say from MANY years experience on cars and boats. The bosch platinum, splitfire, and champion are the ONLY spark plugs I've repeatedly found problems with.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

glad to hear that about the spark plugs i bought some cheap copper autolite its what ford uses from factory i was told. moving on i pulled off the dist. cap and i found all 8 points were green and the plastic piece that hits them was burned and almost flush so i ordered one last night and i will be posting tonight to see if it fixed my problem. if i can find the time to go on the lake. also i will try to use a universal joint to pull the plugs and change them, my uncle has a huge set of snap-on tools. i knew champion and ngk plugs were trash didn't know bosch was, learn new stuff all the time.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

ok a tottaly new issue at hand now i havn't replaced spark plugs yet tomarrow i get plug wires i will do them then, as for now boat fires up and will idle around .5 rpm i can put it in gear and it will start to putt, but once i tap it down a little further to lets say 1 rpm is sputters for about..... 15 seconds and then kicks up to 1 rpm once i am over 1 rpm i have no problems i drop the throttle and it speeds up or i can take off slowly. so i am pretty sure its not the carb. and i just replaced points and dist. cap i will post my findings after i put the new plugs and wires in tomarrow hopefully fixing the problem.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

ok a tottaly new issue at hand now i havn't replaced spark plugs yet tomarrow i get plug wires i will do them then, as for now boat fires up and will idle around .5 rpm i can put it in gear and it will start to putt, but once i tap it down a little further to lets say 1 rpm is sputters for about..... 15 seconds and then kicks up to 1 rpm once i am over 1 rpm i have no problems i drop the throttle and it speeds up or i can take off slowly. so i am pretty sure its not the carb. and i just replaced points and dist. cap i will post my findings after i put the new plugs and wires in tomarrow hopefully fixing the problem.

1 RPM measurement.. That's a impressive tach on your boat..
For some reason it sounds like a ESA issue to me.. unplug it @ the switch and see if it changes

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

ment 500- 1000 rpm ....... starting to get fed up with this boat but i know there is gota be only one more issue i will check ESA next time i go out thank you.

Last edited:

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

ment 500- 1000 rpm ....... starting to get fed up with this boat but i know there is gota be only one more issue i will check ESA next time i go out thank you.
NO NO NO not at the lake.. The dang thing might not shift outta gear.. What a mess that would be.. I thought you was playing in the driveway... Fed up?? It's a boat..

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i was planing on taking it out for the fire works tonight its tulip time and they launch over the water so i wanted to anchor out would there be any way to tempararly fix it for the night? since i doubt i could get a replacement today.