5.8 Engine Removal

tfitch03

Seaman
I have identified a small leak coming from my Y-pipe where it attaches to the transom mount. 1992 Four Winns with a 5.8L Cobra. I have a new gasket so my question is:

Ballpark it for me, how long does it usually take to remove and engine and re-install? I have never taken the engine out so I don't know. I am fortunate enough to have access to my friends shop that has a 3 ton gantry on the ceiling (and of course shade). I am kinda figuring it to be an all day job.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5.8 Engine Removal

I've "seen"it done in under 20min.
I can do it in about 30.Was working at a Bayliner with Cobra drive dealer at the time and was one of the service guys who specialized in Cobra.
Your gonna take 75-90min.
Make sure the electrical ground wires at the back/transom are undone.
Remove the drive, unhook the fuel, unhook the linkage and the manifolds.
Putting it back in is gonna take lots longer:)

tfitch03

Seaman

Thanks Jerry! I will be MORE than happy to buy your lunch if you want to drive over and help me out. FL isnt that far from TX, I'll get the tools out. Seriously though, thanks for the input, I plan on taking my time and making sure I don't create anymore work along the way. Anything else I should take a look at or replace since I will be going that far?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

have a good look at the coupler, starter, look for any rust or issues with the oil pan - I always change the oil when an engine's out. about the only time that last few tablespoons from the bottom of the pan will ever get drained.

tfitch03

Seaman

Good thinking Howard. I put a starter in 2 years ago and a coupler 3 years ago. I'll give them a good look though. I didn't realize that about oil either.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Lunch!!! Be right there:)
Just make sure there are NO left over bolts or nuts.
The stringer bolts, if they come out easy?? or wet?