5.7L TB IV Intermittent Ignition Issue

achris

More fish than mountain goat
:facepalm: You didn't read what I said. That distributor has a MECHANICAL adavance, springs and weights (ie, horse and buggy).... You are taking a serious backward step, like about 40 years!

Chris.......

Badfish95

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't know horse and buggies ran SBC's...

Here is the stock advance curve:

Looks like the green bushing and two blue springs will get you pretty darn close. You may be able to go up a bushing and a slightly lighter spring setup. The mechanical advance is tried and true.

C'mon guys...these are small block Chevys, not lunar rovers.

edsonfarm

Cadet
I did read what you said. Nothing so far has made the Merc ignition system work properly. It may be "horse and buggy" but if it works I'll have a boat for the 4th. I'd rather ride in a horse and buggy than have no transportation at all.

edsonfarm

Cadet
Well the MSD distributor was installed before the weekend and ignition issues are gone. I'm still disappointed I couldn't narrow down the source of the problem but I'm guessing it had to be something somewhere in the wiring harness. That said, it was REALLY nice to have a working boat again. I'm probably going to get another MSD unit for the port engine so both are running the same setup.
Thank you to everyone who weighed in to help!