5.7 Block Drain Plug Removal..... Suggestions????

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice
I've searched these forums, but have not seen this problem mentioned anywhere. I'm sure it may be here somewhere, but there is so much information here that it is overwhelming. What an incredible resource this board is. Information and help at your fingertips - it was not that long ago that the only information you could find was at a dealer - and pretty much the standard answer to any question was "Open your wallet and bring it in - we'll be happy to fix it" A big thanks to everyone that contributes!

Here's what I'm dealing with - 84 Cruisers Inc with twin 5.7 mercruisers that has had the starboard engine replaced. I attempted to winterize it a couple of weeks ago and had no problems with the port engine. On the starboard engine, I started on the port side, again, no problems. On the starboard side, I drained the manifold and riser and then attempted to drain the block. (Remember, with the twin engines, it's like having ten pounds shoved into a five pound sack - I have extremely limited room to work and it is impossible to see anything. Plus my 55 year old body does not bend the same as it used to - I'll pay for this with aches and pains for a month!) I could feel that the correct brass drain was not in the block, but a recessed drive pipe plug was installed. I thought is was the type that used a 3/8 drive, but soon discovered that it was an allen drive. I did not have a socket with me, and was leaving town for a couple weeks the next day, so all I could do was fill the block with pink antifreeze and hope for the best.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. I armed myself with a set of snap on allen sockets and my wife's make up mirror for another attempt. With the mirror I was kind of able to (kind of) see what I am dealing with. I took my phone and was able to get a picture of the side of the block.
20121125_134820.jpg

As you can see, the plug was already stripped before I touched it. I tried a 1/4" allen socket and it did just what I thought it would - Nothing.

I'm rearming myself and going to try again tomorrow. Here's my plan of attack:

1. Try a metric socket. I think a 7 mm may be close in size.
2. If number 1 fails, try beating a torx socket into the plug. (unlikely to work, but worth a shot)
3. If I get to this stage, I'm thinking a right angle drill and 1/4" bit. I don't know if I can get it in there or not, but if I can, I can at least get the water out of the block. I can deal with getting the plug out later.
4. If I get to here, I'm done. I'll drain everything that I can once again, pull the thermostat, and fill it with undiluted regular antifreeze. Hopefully, that will save the block, but I realize I'm gambling with this plan. It's a last resort sort of thing.

I'm open to any suggestions as to a better way to do this or is there something I'm overlooking?

I just bought this boat in September, knowing there were problems with the starboard engine. (I knew what I was getting into and the price I paid reflected the work I was going to do). The previous owner was tired of dealing with the problems - three years ago, he paid his marina to winterize the boat. They did not get to it until it was to late. The starboard engine froze and broke. The marina replaced it and totally screwed the job up. He paid them $500.00 labor this past spring to replace the starter and you can see what is on there - an Autozone car starter. It was held on by one bolt and the bracket on the front. You can see in the picture that the front bracket is not even installed right.

So far I found the starter problem, wrong spark plugs, loose spark plugs, missing cover on the flywheel, throttle and shift cable so far out of adjustment that it was impossible to use the boat, ignition timing way off, carb adjustment way off, and I'm sure there was more that I have not remembered. Also, after seeing the "quality workmanship", I'm 99.9% sure that this thing has not seen an alignment bar since the engine was replaced. I've got the engine running good, and would hate to loose a block over a stupid pipe plug, but I guess if it happens, it happens.

Mark

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5.7 Block Drain Plug Removal..... Suggestions????

Are you sure it's not a 5/16 allen?

LK

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you tried to get a good visegrip on the plug looks like there may be just enough sticking out to get a hold of. Might try a little heat on the plug before turning. Replace with petcock or brass socket pipe plug.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

Have you tried to get a good visegrip on the plug looks like there may be just enough sticking out to get a hold of. Might try a little heat on the plug before turning. Replace with petcock or brass socket pipe plug.

The picture is deceiving - it gives the impression that I have room to work and can see down there! I took it by laying on my stomach, across the top of the other engine, reaching across that engine, and sticking my arm between the manifold and a stringer. I had to take about 50 pictures before I got that one. I agree, if I could get to it ( as in if the engine was hanging from a chain) a vice grip would probably get the plug out. As far as getting heat on it, it can not happen. For one I would be working blind, and for two, I do not believe that I could get a torch in there. If I did, there is no telling what I would set on fire. I do have the correct mercruiser petcock to go back in. Here is an accidental picture that I took - it kind of gives you an idea of the space.

20121125_135321.jpg

Augie56

Seaman

If you can't get an allen wrench or a Torx/star drive socket to get that plug out, I would try some *gentle* heat and then the appropriate size Easy-Out on the end of a 3/8'' ratchet drive. The Easy-Out should give enough bite to get that stripped plug out. Don't go crazy with the heat, just try to heat the threaded area of the block only...heating the plug itself will cause the plug to swell (making it tighter in the block threads) and may also soften up the stripped-out allen socket too much.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Mark what a bummer you are faceing.

Try useing a very small blade screw driver to clean out the hex, then spay with some type of penatrent, Wait to let it soak in.... then try your metric allen socket.

If that dont work...try a small set of vice grips with small jaws.......... with luck hope that lill work.

If you can get to the starter to replace it...... than you should be able to get the plug out.

Good Luck to ya!

FreeBeeTony

Captain

What if you removed the exhaust manifold?
Would that give you more room to work?

Might be worth the extra effort......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks like a rounded out allen set screw.

On jobs like that, I would find a torx bit that is just barely too big for the screw, and drive it in, then use a socket and ratchet to back it out. Then get a standard brass hex plug to replace it with.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. It was nice out this afternoon so I skipped out of work to take advantage of the day.

I can say this for certain - That plug is not coming out with the engine in the boat. No way - No how!!

Here's what I'm working with

20121127_134719.jpg

You can see the stringer runs right under the manifold. Basically I'm working standing on my head.

20121127_143400.jpg

That's pink antifreeze from the manifold. You can see how tight things are. And that's a bracket on a wire that goes to the starter swinging in the wind. Another example of the expert craftsmanship by the engine installer!!!!!!

20121127_143420.jpg

The plug is located between the mount and the starter. I know it's hard to tell from this photo, but does that mount look like it's assembled correctly?

I tried the metric allen - no go. A 6 mm fit about like the 1/4 , a 7 mm will not fit.

On to the torx socket with the same results.

I then tried a 1/4" pipe extractor - it tried to bite, but there is just not enough there.

I stopped on the way to the boat and bought a new pair of genuine Vice Grip pliers. I could get them on the threads of the plug, but they are impossible to turn due to the close proximity of the oil pan rail on the bottom, the starter at the rear, and the motor mount in the front.

I then broke out the right angle drill which soon became another exercise in futility. It is impossible to get the drill onto the pipe plug, much less square to it due to the angle of the block. It puts the drill directly into the stringer.

I only have about 1.5 inches to work with which is probably why the plug was already stripped. A 3/8 drive socket and ratchet will not go square into the plug. A 1/4 will. I'm sure that whoever put this engine in, forgot to pull these plugs and install the correct petcock. When they went to winterize it, they stripped the allen plug.

I decided to cut my losses at this point. I drained the pink antifreeze from the port side of the engine and from all the hoses, pulled the thermostat, and filled the engine with undiluted green antifreeze. I don't think its gonna get cold enough to worry about for awhile. I'd rather not lose the block, but if I do, it's a 350 Chevy. They're cheap and plentiful.

My plan at this point is to go ahead and yank the engine. It really does not bother me because I don't really trust anything about it due to the shoddy workmanship on everything else. I can take this opportunity to remove the drain plug, change the starter, and replace the missing cover on the flywheel. Plus repair whatever else that I find done wrong. While it's out, I'll run it by the machine shop and have them pull the heads and check everything out. If there is nothing wrong with it, I'm out the cost of a gasket set - if they find something and repair it, I managed to save a lot of aggravation next season.

Sound like a feasible plan?

Mark

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

What is that white "box" on the starboard side next to the engine? Water heater? Seems as if you removed that it would be big enough to get in there. Maybe throw $20.00 to a skinny high school kid???

LK

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

you are up against the elements and some of us have trouble with just crawling around a single engine.as its an imperial built engine threads are going to be english excuse the pun and not metric.if the hexagon is ringed a torx bit hammered in is your best bet with a wrench to turn it.one of the threads is tapered and one straight cut so they lock tight and dont leak but when out, i suggest you get a correct brass tap which screws into the thread so it can be drained quickly.some copper grease keeps these moving as they can sometimes seize too with the wet climate and salt water.if you have to pull the engine it may be the quickest way to give yourself the best chance of getting the plug out without an easiout.if still a son of a gun a nut a little bigger can be welded to the plug in the centre and the larger diameter will allow you to put a socket to undo.copper washer to stop welding to cast block.good luck in your efforts.
if freezing weather is iminent drill an 1/8th hole through the centre and drain and then get the engine out over the course of the winter in your own good time and sleep at night knowing it wont freeze if all the waters out.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I'd still look at removing the exhaust manifold to give you more room.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since you have such limited working area, have you tried using a 1/4 drive 12" flexible extension with maybe a small drill bit on the end to see you can start a hole and if so, go from there?

The other thing I couldn't tell from the picture is there a remote oil filter setup installed or how will it be to change the filter?

If there is not one installed, maybe that's just another reason to pull the engine and get one installed.

I read that once you get the stripped fitting out you have the Merc petcock to install but with such limited space, would there be something better to install in the block that would have say a 45 degree turn, then a fitting to hook into some type of heave duty hose of several inches then the actual drain device on that which then gives you room to drain it?

Mark

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I would avoid the easy break method, and pull the engine.Those plugs are normally used in auto applications. Was this block changed out and the plugs were missed?
Once you have the room drill thru with 1/4 inch bit and drive an allen head wrench in .use some heat also.
Or drill it thru with the correct bit to retap it 1/4 inch pipe and use brass plugs.

cyclops2

Banned

Pull the engine. It is a real DIY abortion with so many jury rigs.

NHGuy

Captain

Yeah, I'd say pull the exhaust manifold and try to get the darn thing out. If that does not work, pull the motor. You could end up finding that atrocity is cross threaded into the block.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

What is that white "box" on the starboard side next to the engine? Water heater? Seems as if you removed that it would be big enough to get in there. Maybe throw $20.00 to a skinny high school kid???

LK

Yepppppppppp. Water Heater. Removing it will do no good because it's above my mess. The stringers and engine sit below it.I'd gladly toss a fifty at a skinny high school kid ( I used to be one of those) but I do not believe it would do any good.

Mark

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

I'd still look at removing the exhaust manifold to give you more room.

I'm with ya. If I had the remotest thought that it would work, the exhaust manifold would be off. The plug is below the stringer and has about 1.5 inches clearance from the block to the stringer. My photos are deceiving - they make this look easy - believe me - it's not!

Mark

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

Since you have such limited working area, have you tried using a 1/4 drive 12" flexible extension with maybe a small drill bit on the end to see you can start a hole and if so, go from there?

The other thing I couldn't tell from the picture is there a remote oil filter setup installed or how will it be to change the filter?

If there is not one installed, maybe that's just another reason to pull the engine and get one installed.

I read that once you get the stripped fitting out you have the Merc petcock to install but with such limited space, would there be something better to install in the block that would have say a 45 degree turn, then a fitting to hook into some type of heave duty hose of several inches then the actual drain device on that which then gives you room to drain it?

Mark

I did not try the flexible extension - at this point in the game, I don't think it would be worth the effort.

No remote filter. I've changed the oil and filter and all I can say is it's a job Id rather forget about. My hand fits between the exhaust manifolds barely. An oil filter does not. It's drag it out the front or rear and it does make a mess. I'm with ya on this.

Once I get the old plug out, I'm good. I can get my hand on whats there now. I don't need to see it to work it - I grew up in the 70's - I do my best finger work in the dark!!!!!!!!!!:lol: