4HP 2 strokes exhausts gas

sickandtired

Cadet
My old Merc 4hp 1990 started to exhaust gas (gas in the lake). There are no leaks anywhere. The local mechanic said it was a normal operation. Does anyone have an idea of the source of the problem?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4HP 2 strokes exhausts gas

Does it smoke very much? Is there an oily film on the water around the engine when operating in N? Do you run the engine at WOT very often? Do you troll a lot? Do you use synthetic blend (Pennzoil Super Premiun...for example) oil at a 1/2 pt to 3 gallons of gas ratio? Do you use Sea Foam in your fuel mix to keep your engine clean? Does the engine start and run strong?

All of these things have an effect on how clean your engine is and environmentally friendly.

Mark

sickandtired

Cadet

Hi Mark and thank you for responding. The motor doesn't smoke, but there is a wide film in the water in neutral. I never troll. I operate at 50 to one oil mix. What does WOT mean and what do you mean by run strong?

Bert

G

Hi Mark and thank you for responding. The motor doesn't smoke, but there is a wide film in the water in neutral. I never troll. I operate at 50 to one oil mix. What does WOT mean and what do you mean by run strong?

Bert

Wot means wide open throttle I believe also know as100% throttle. Engine running strong I believe refers to: do you see or hear any hiccups or anything that might be indicating something's wrong

Wot is wide open throttle , your carb may be set a bit rich not all bad or you may have went with a cheap oil or put a little to much oil in the gas ?
Ken

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe your outboard spits out more gas than normal, maybe not. You should know that 2 stroke motors do spit out gas because there are no valves to prevent this from happening like there are on a 4 stroke. This is why the EPA is pushing manufacturers to go towards making all motors 4 strokes. I hope they never totally do away with new 2 strokes because they are lighter weight, more powerful out of the hole, and a lot simpler (easier to work on yourself).

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

WOT was answered. Run strong means that when you give her the throttle she takes it and moves on; no balking, hiccuping or any of that like weimed mentioned.

On leaning out the carb, if you decide to fool with the low speed jet, if you get it too far in...too lean, the engine won't run strong and you can have piston scuffing problems.

Mark

sickandtired

Cadet

WOT was answered. Run strong means that when you give her the throttle she takes it and moves on; no balking, hiccuping or any of that like weimed mentioned.

On leaning out the carb, if you decide to fool with the low speed jet, if you get it too far in...too lean, the engine won't run strong and you can have piston scuffing problems.

Mark

Thanks guys. I find the motor spits unburned gas mainly, but not exclusively at startup. Full throttle is ok if I go at it gradually. Othewize, it dies.

Is there any tests I can do to diagnose the problem?

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You should probably rebuild the carbs and fuel pump before you go back on the lake again. It's not normal to leave a gas slick, I don't care what the mechanic said.

sickandtired

Cadet

Why would both fail at the same time? Is there any tests I can run to diagnose the issue? Can anyone explain to me how can unburned gas make it straight to the exhaust?

Last edited:

sickandtired

Cadet
Found the problem. The gas tank neck was had a hairline crack which broke while twisting the cap. New tank needed! Thanks all