496 bravo 3 3000 RPM plus overheat

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A few weeks ago we rodded both heat exchangers which seems to have helped. They took the boat on a 2 hour trip from their marina to Altantic City 3K most of the way no overheat alarms. However he decided that this fall when the he would like to put through hulls in for engine cooling. This leads me to my question. Since it is near impossible to get behind the engine, how do we deal with hoses going from the drive/transom to raw pump?. In another post someone mentioned putting a Y fitting and connecting it to tie it into the new hose going from the thru hull to the raw pump? Not sure I understand this. My thought is to pull the hose off the pump, plug it and leave it laying in the bilge. Then connect a new hose from the thru hull to the pump. I will try and find the post mentioning the Y fitting. As always all advices is greatly appreciated.

Mike

alldodge

Staff member
The Y allows the motor two places to draw water from at same time

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Its been a while since I have been on the forum, I just lost my wife to a 6 month battle with cancer and am trying to recover from it. Since I am feeling OK I figured I would post an update to this thread. After we serviced the heat exchangers all seem OK and they took the boat on a 30 plus mile trip from Forked River to Atlantic City with no issues. Upon returing they noticed a leak and also an overheat issue on the port engine. Again in denial, I said the 2 are related. Turns out the Bravoitis was so bad it cracked something to cause the leak.

IMG_3623.jpg

While port engine was out they were able to get at the starboard side to check for Bravoitis which was almast as bad so that engine came out too. They are almost finished replacing both transom assemblies with new. The cost is almost what I paid for my 310 Sundancer. Next up is a 50MPH blast on Barnegat bay with no overheat.

alldodge

Staff member
So sorry to hear about our wife, condolences to you and family

Replacing the transom assembly is one way but could have just cleaned out the opening and replaced with new style hose assembly