40 HP 2 cyl Merc Water Jacket

My old 82 Mercury had been sitting up for about 5 years as I had undergone treatment for cancer. Anyway the foot (prop gear housing) was tore up and I was replacing it. While I had the foot off I washed the leg out with a water hose, stuck the hose up on the flow tube and noticed a small weep from around the top plug and no water out the tale tell. Compression is good, no water in cylinder but I am sure I have to replace the head gasket. I saw another post from years back and everyone was saying they sheared off the bolts to remove the cap. I did try one midway on cap and sure enough the dang thing snapped! Is there a way to get those bolts out without snapping them off? Also, i have tried looking for a upper seal for the exhaust tube. There is one at the bottom but I cant find anything for up the driveshaft housing. Is there NOT one?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no cylinder head and no head gasket.----There is a simple gasket for the water jacket cover.----On a salt water motor there may be issues.-----Some automotive stores may have " weeping RTV " windshield sealer that might plug that leak.

RTV will hold up to internal water pressure? Yes, I live right on the bayou and water is mostly fresh but it definitely is brackish, I can't believe those bolts won't come out without snapping them. Heat maybe?