4 cylinder I/O impeller? How often do they need to be changed?

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a Sea Ray 160. It's a 1989 with 400 hours. I changed out the fuel filter, changed the oil and filter, changed plugs, and she's a beauty. Debating weather to do the impeller. Boat has been stored for 3 years.

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 4 cylinder I/O impeller? How often do they need to be changed?

YES- if for no other reason than peace of mind.

3 years is creating the possibility of dry rot. Not to mention you didn't mention the history of the boat before the 3 years. If in doubt, change it out. Nothing ruins a trip faster than an impeller that shreds.

Chuck

Randy169

Seaman Apprentice

As Chuck says, replace the impeller. If not just for peace of mind.

I change mine out every 50 hours. It's cheap and doesn't take long. If it had sat for a year without turning over, I would change it out as well.

I have been stuck on the lake with a broken impeller. :eek: That won't happen again.

ziggy

Admiral

for my 1 drive, the maint. scedual is once a year to inspect the impeller. if i'm gonna go inspect it, i'm gonna R&R it. for an alpha1, the maint. scedual is, whenever insufficient water flow is suspected or if operating temp exceeds normal operating temp. since the 1 drive and the alpha1 use the same impeller. back to once a year to inspect, replace......

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES! this is yearly maintainance for most. the manual will tell you to pull the entire outfdrive to lube the u-joints once a year. i hope you changed the oil and greased all your zerk fittings.