4.3mpi rough idle

kenny7964

Cadet
Hi all, I have a 2013 Bayliner 642 fitted with the original 2012 4.3 mpi engine number is 2A042395.

our first run out this year Didn’t go well, it fired right up after storage ran nice on the muffs, everything ran fine oils level fine no water leaks got up to temperature gone, i had left about 20ltrs of fuel in over the winter with a stabiliser in.

filled up the rest of the tank with fresh fuel and put in a can of seafoam, I do this every year.

got to the water and again the boat started fine, ticked over to warm up whilst i parked the car. Jumped in and off we went boat ran for nearly 20 miles with no issues water temp fine oiled pressure fine all good until we headed into the dock. When slowing down the revs stuck about 2000rpm and it would not come out of gear with due to the engine speed. Switched the engine off and we coasted to a stop.
the engine started but the idle was very lumpy and only about 500rpm when trying to rev it it was very rich. It gave all the symptoms of the idle control valve, the old one was sticking close so i have fitted a new one however the tick over is slightly better but still lumpy and very rich. Vessel view shows oil temp to be zero. I can’t see an oil temperature switch or sensor on any parts diagrams.

one other thing is the rev counter has stopped working but I can’t see that affecting anything, a new one is on order.

i do have the boat blocked in at a local dealer but it is a 4 week wait and others are even longer.
can anyone help with oil temp sensor part number and location or does anyone have other ideas befor our Scottish summer ends?

thanks

Kenny

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Check the throttle cable goes from full open to full close on the Throttle Body

Oil Temp going to zero could be it lost a ground. If other sensors like the rev counter it could be causing all kinds of issues

Most likely going to need to motor scanned