4.3L Front Engine mounts (old style) in Sea Ray Seville

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys
It's me again with a question.
Has anyone come across this previously please?
Some of you are aware I am changing my engine mounts due to them rotting through, see engine type, serial number and boat in my signature .
I couldn't get original Mercruiser Mounts in the UK so I've managed to find some Lloyds of London Certified Marine Anti Vibration Mounts for my weight of engine. The dimensions of the holes is exact having put the base plates back to back. The threaded supports are metric rather than imperial and slightly thinner 16mm instead of 3/4" thread. My only worry is that the new support rods are not fine threaded only standard thread.
Anyhow, on dry fitting the new mounts, i.e. bolting on the brackets and putting the new mounts adjusters through the bracket holes I found that the mount base holes didn't line up with the holes in the boat mounts. This is really odd as I had checked the measurements several times and matched the base plates as well.
What I did notice though is that the old mount threaded adjusters slant to the rear whereas the new mounts are right angle to the mount.
The engine does look as if its slanting to the stern, however it has always been checked for alignment yearly, so the questions are.....
Is slanting to the rear normal?
Should the old mounts tilt backwards?
Has anyone else had this issue?
Here are some photos.....

Do 4.3

Attachments

• Mounts compared.jpg
    Mounts compared.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Not aligning with holes A.jpg
    Not aligning with holes A.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 11
  • Not aligning with holes B.jpg
    Not aligning with holes B.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Old mount dry fit.jpg
    Old mount dry fit.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 12

nola mike

Vice Admiral
The stud should be at a right angle to the mount. It looks like you can push the new Mount forward and have it aligned with the holes, it isn't aligned with the rear either. That said, it certainly possible that the original mounts were not perfect, and the rubber took a set over time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The early mounts are "squishy" and the original rigging may have been done with a 2x4 to pry it in place as they ran the lag bolts in with a burp gun.

You may need to epoxy in some slugs of wood in the old holes and redrill new ones

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quote "The stud should be at a right angle to the mount. It looks like you can push the new Mount forward and have it aligned with the holes, it isn't aligned with the rear either. That said, it certainly possible that the original mounts were not perfect, and the rubber took a set over time."
Thanks nola mike.
The picture with the new mount in place is as far forward as it will go. I'm coming to the same conclusion that the mounts were not perfectly fitted originally.

Quote "The early mounts are "squishy" and the original rigging may have been done with a 2x4 to pry it in place as they ran the lag bolts in with a burp gun.
You may need to epoxy in some slugs of wood in the old holes and redrill new ones"
Thanks Scott
I have been thinking this might the case but I've kinda been in denial that the Sea Ray factory would do such a thing as the boat has lasted the test of time well. I suppose I was hoping someone else might suggest the old mounts had been wacked into position.
I'll have to figure out how to get a drill in between the exhaust manifolds and the floor mounts.
I have another question for you super dooper chaps.
The new mounts came with Zinc coated 16mm (approx 5/8") threaded supports with standard thread, but because I use the boat on the sea I swapped them out for 304 stainless rods, nuts and washers. I see the old mounts have a fine thread and 3/4" with 1/2 size nuts to adjust height with a nut to hold the rod to the mount.
I cant get a full nut on the new mount support for adjustment because the engine bracket too low but I can get a half nut in comfortably for adjustment. However my concern is that fine threads have more meat than standard threads. Do you guys think the half nut standard thread will take the weight of the engine?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have been thinking this might the case but I've kinda been in denial that the Sea Ray factory would do such a thing as the boat has lasted the test of time well.
You underestimate how shoddy the work actually is at SeaRay. its not any better at other boat manufacturers. and that is today

Boats in 80's were worse as that was an economical boom that had everyone and their cousin in the boating manufacturing world slapping these things on their butt to get them out the door as fast as possible.

you will need to pull the motor to be able to get in there to drill