4.3 V6 grinds but still starts

g-riehl87

Cadet
hey guys, I am at a loss for this one I am up against, I found some good threads but no one posted the resolution. So the back story is this: My boat is a 19 foot Regal, with the Volvo Penta (GM) 4.3GL V6. She always ran great, cranker right up, no issues. So I went to start it for the first time this summer and it turned over maybe once and then nothing, pulled the starter, it was locked up tight. OK, so, pulled it off, made sure the motor was not locked (turned freely), I bought a starter off eBay for $60, it worked fine but I am getting a grinding, but it grinds enough to kick the flywheel and start the boat but it sounds awful. So, I bought a Wilson starter for twice as much and it does the same thing. Do I need to shim it? I dont think that will work --- one guy said he pulled the starter off his boat (that was doing the same thing) and installed it on his buddies boat and it cranked his buddies boat up fine, so, I feel like mine would do the same thing.

Suggestions? Im at a loss

thanks

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
No shimming should be necessary. I'm afraid sometimes you get what to pay for. I would take the old "frozen up" that is hopefully OEM and find someone locally that rebuilds starters for say $50-75. Either that or buy an OEM Marine starter.

g-riehl87

Cadet
yea....I know, I already sent it back in to the cheap-o people, and I dont think I get it back. I installed the Wilson starter, which is marine grade (got it from O'Reily's)..it did the same thing. I tried shimming the cheap-o one with washers...no change. An OE starter is over $400....I should have gotten it rebuilt....ughhhhhhhhhhhh...maybe I can find an OE one on EBay --- any other suggestions?

g-riehl87

Cadet
I found one from Overton's for $200, I just dont want to spend more money on something else that is the issue. 2 starter have done the same thing, Im sure the Wilson's one was not OE quality, -- the whole thing just makes on sense to me mechanically....

dearborndeuce

Recruit
Make the starter drive is exactly the same as the oem on the one you are trying to replace with. I've had this prob & the bendix or drive was the problem for me.
Get your old one back & get it rebuilt at a reputable shop. Cheaper than new oem….good luck