4.3 oil pressure

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 07 4.3 that in the last trip started reading around 65-75 psi when I first take off and I go back to idle or back off and it will go back to around 40 psi. It just started doing this and was wanting to know if I should pull the boat and take it to the dealer which is about two hours away or can I buy a cheap oil gauge of some sort to see if the gauge all of a sudden screwed up or another problem is there? I know nobody can diagnose the problem over the computer but if hooking up a cheap or portable gauge is the way to go. Thanks for any info.

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4.3 oil pressure

What was the oil pressure readings before? My '96 4.3L has always had the same readings as you are describing, so your readings seem normal to me. I'll see 75 to 80, while the oil is warming up (water is already warm). Once it is warm, I'll see 60-70, at speeds above 2K or so.

Later,

johnbo

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont remember it reading that high but the last couple of times out I didnt let it idle very long before taking off (maybe two or three minutes) so you might be right. After leaving the boat ramp I have to idle about 10 minutes to park the truck and leave the no wake zone. I have only noticed it when leaving after being tied up in the cove for awhile. I will pay more attention to it tomorrow to see if thats the case. Thanks for the response.

Skyhawk

Seaman Apprentice

My 4.3 has essentially the same readings as both of yours. 70 to 80 w/ some throttle, about 40 @ idle (600rpm).

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... I don't see a Problem...

Oil Pressure always drops slightly when the oil warms up....

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 95 4.3LX reads the same. When i am underway it reads 75-80psi and then goes to 40-45 when at idle. Seems normal to me. I thought mine was high to when i first got the boat and watched the oil gauge. You should be fine.