4.3 Mercruiser Power

gary fluke

Cadet
I have a Mercruiser that says "4.3litre/V-6" on the cover over the fuel injection. The manual says there are two versions of this engine, the 4.3L and the 4.3LX, respectively 160 and 180bhp. How can I tell which engine I have? The engine is in a 1994 20' Wellcraft Excel and it does about 45mph, but I haven't looked to see what the pitch of the prop is. Does anyone have one of these boats? If, so, how has it been for you? So far, this one starts and runs great, and seems to have a lot better fuel economy than older boats I've run that weren't as fast. It sure gets a lot of compliments on how it looks.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4.3 Mercruiser Power

I would think the hp rating would be noted on the engine i.d. plate/sticker. Post the engine serial number...perhaps one of the experts can tell you from that.<br /><br />Walt

gary fluke

Cadet

Thanks Walt, the ser.# is OF269369. I looked at the ID plate but did not see a horsepower rating.

Trent

Captain

4.3 with EFI is 210HP<br /><br />4.3 standard is 190HP

gary fluke

Cadet

According to the Mercruiser manual that came with the boat, my fuel injected engine is either 160 or 180bhp.

gary fluke

Cadet

Trent,<br />Did you get your figures based on the serial number?

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is reasonable to assume you have 180 hp if you have the fuel injected motor.<br /><br />I have a 1994 Wellcraft Excel 20SL with a 4.3L Volvo Penta SX (carburated). And according to Clymers it has 160 hp. It will do 43 mph (non-GPS) 4950 RPM at WOT. It has the original prop., which, if memory serves, is 17" pitch.<br /><br />Different engines, so I'll just comment on the boat. I have been generally happy with it and get plenty of complements. I replaced the original aluminum antisiphon valve this year with a brass one (I recommend you chuck the original part as far as you can if it has not yet been replaced). My only other issue is that both bilge vents face forward. This means I need to run the fan all the time to avoid vapor lock.

gary fluke

Cadet

Thanks, Juan for your reply. I don't know where the anti-siphon valve is. Is it in line with the bilge pump discharge? I haven't had any trouble with vaporlock, maybe because my engine is fuel-injected. I see you live in Woodinvile, just down the road from me. Where do you like to take your boat?