4.3 Hard Cold Start

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys - bringing an old thread back because I just replaced my Holly with a edelbrock 1409. It works great BUT has the "hard start after sitting for more than a few days" issue like others do. Otherwise, it starts great cold or hot. Don't have to pump it, throttle it 1/4 throttle or nothing. Just after it sits for a few days, do I have to crank the starter for what seems like forever until the pump runs long enough to fill the fuel bowl.

My fuel pump has a wire to the starter relay and one to another relay off the coil. (Marine Power 5.7l sportpac 2006). Figured I would install a momentary switch to the fuel pump to help prime the carb w/o using the starter to do so. Also thought about this timer relay but can't seem to find the right one. Can someone help?

alldodge

Staff member
What your talking about happens with most all carb engines. I have one with a mechanical fuel pump, so I crank about 15 seconds without pumping at all. Then let it set for about a minute, pump a few times and crank again. May have to repeat one more time then she fires up. You have an electric fuel pump, so if 12V is going to the pump when your cranking, it should start sooner