4.3 GL Engine Mount Bolt replacement

ramaz

Recruit
Hi its my first post on this forum and I hope someone can help me, please.

I'll be replacing my gimbal bearing and I think I will need an engine alignment. As you can see from the picture, I will have hard time doing an alignment with the current state of my engine mount bolts.
My question is:
Can I just get some similar size stainless steel bolts and nuts from the hardware store or do I need to spend 30 dollars on each OEM bolt (PN 3852566)?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20181206_123902.jpg
    20181206_123902.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • sd30461-nib-omc-50l-58l-v8-ford-bolt-engine-mount-1994-up-3852566.jpg
    sd30461-nib-omc-50l-58l-v8-ford-bolt-engine-mount-1994-up-3852566.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 21
  • mounts pn.PNG
    mounts pn.PNG
    127.1 KB · Views: 22

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, you can use a similar bolt if it comes apart. I would not use stainless, its not strong enough. You want a grade 8 fine thread bolt. You want fine thread so the adjustments are more accurate.

I would suggest using some penetrating oil, something like PB Blaster and just get the one you have freed up

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Before you go any further, do an alignment
check before you replace.
Then again after you get the new bearing in.
Just changing the bearing shouldn't make any
difference.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
FYI- I`ve found it helpful if you give the new bolt a liberal coating of marine grease while installing. It helps protect the new bolt form this same scenario in the future.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Before you go any further, do an alignment
check before you replace.
Then again after you get the new bearing in.
Just changing the bearing shouldn't make any
difference.
I have this very same issue on my 99 FW Sundowner. I am reluctant to start the gimbal bearing replacement until I am certain I can do an alignment if required. The mount bolts are rusted and it is a tough job to get down in the engine bay to try to break them free. Considering just replacing both front mounts. I have replacements on hand. My issue is trying to remove them with the engine in situ. I will try to rig an engine support while I try to remove the support bracket on the engine block side first then the lags on the stringer side. Hopefully, thos will not be another “knuckle buster” of a job but I am not sure at this point!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I have this very same issue on my 99 FW Sundowner. I am reluctant to start the gimbal bearing replacement until I am certain I can do an alignment if required. The mount bolts are rusted and it is a tough job to get down in the engine bay to try to break them free. Considering just replacing both front mounts. I have replacements on hand. My issue is trying to remove them with the engine in situ. I will try to rig an engine support while I try to remove the support bracket on the engine block side first then the lags on the stringer side. Hopefully, thos will not be another “knuckle buster” of a job but I am not sure at this point!
The front mounts are the only adjustable mounts so there is no reason to remove the rear unless they are broken and not functioning. Just lift the front of the engine enough to replace the front bolts/mounts.

ramaz

Recruit
Hey, thank you all for the replies.
My engine needs alignment.
I used a nut splitter and and got the top nuts off and ordered replacements.
The other nuts are OK, but the bolt needs rethreading.

Does anybody knows what type of threads are in these bolts?
My measurements indicate a 5/8-18 National Fine Thread, but I'm not 100%.

Anybody knows whats the thread size and pitch in these engine mounts so I can get the correct thread chaser?

Thank you.

alldodge

Staff member
Being VP its probably metric
Instead of chasing the threads could replace the bolt and nut with anything you want. Do recommend fine thread, but thats about it

ramaz

Recruit
Being VP its probably metric
Instead of chasing the threads could replace the bolt and nut with anything you want. Do recommend fine thread, but thats about it
It could be a M16-1.5 but I cant find this information anywhere.
I just want to make sure I run the right thread chaser and don't ruin the bolts.

Anyone know for sure??

Attachments

• 20210412_210754.jpg
    20210412_210754.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 3