4.3 Coughs

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Before anyone asks yes I did test it for COVID-19 & it tested negative! LOL
I have a 2011 Crownline 18SS with the 4.3 carbureted engine & MerCruiser outdrive. This is something that just started this past weekend. When I throw the throttle open fast it wants to cough a little bit. Does it more when the engine is "cold" but also does it occasionally when warm. I say cold but but I am not leaving from the dock & hitting WOT. Obviously most places you have a no wake area (some longer than others) so I would think the engine/carburetor would have enough time to warm up during this time. Where would be the best place to start? The fuel filter?

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like a carb issue, needs adjusting and may need a rebuild

More cold then warm and can happen when warm

Bondo

Staff member
Where would be the best place to start? The fuel filter?

Ayuh,...... Examine it's Contents for clues,..... a sneeze or cough is usually caused by a lack of fuel,.......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if its coughing as you throttle up, most likely its the accelerator circuit. as stated above, start by inspecting your fuel

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks all... I was low on fuel a few weeks ago so I put in fuel from a couple of gas cans. I am wondering if there was some sediment in the cans & now has my fuel filter a little plugged up. I will look into this sometime this week.