4.3 Broken Starter Mount

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have this IDENTICAL problem on my 4.3. From what I have read this appears to be a common problem. Out of curiosity, is your fix still working to this day?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The usual "Cure" is a new block,....

Many have cobbed up repairs, no idea how well they hold up,...

The usual cause is a loose starter, or hydro-lockin' the motor,...

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,.... The usual "Cure" is a new block,....

Many have cobbed up repairs, no idea how well they hold up,...

The usual cause is a loose starter, or hydro-lockin' the motor,...

Yup, happened to me right after I bought my boat. I don't know if welding repairs hold up, either. After doing a lot of reading about the difficulty of repairing cast iron, and thinking about how the new starter mounting hole has to be in precisely the right spot... I opted to replace the motor.

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have only seen the issue one time. The welder we took it to opted to braze the piece back on. What we did notice was that there was no support brace on the tail end of the starter such as is pretty standard with all Gm auto and truck installs so we fabbed one from the starter to a tapped casting boss. It lasted many years untill we sold it. I don't know whether it was missing, or if Merc puts anything there or what, but GM feels it's necessary on a car. I did notice the 5.0 in mine has no support bracket, but the casting lug is there so it will get one at some point.

Last edited:

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. To add a little information - I just got this boat last week. I am NOT very knowledgeable about marine applications, but I am very familiar with GM auto mechanics and am not afraid to figure stuff out. I traded for the entire boat with a clean title for something I bought for $89.00 (winning!!)

I get it... replacing the block is the correct way to ultimately fix this problem. Cast iron is no bueno to weld. The guy I got it from clearly had it break off once, not sure why exactly, but probably for one of the above mentioned reasons (Hydro lock / loose starter). He had the issue welded. The weld repair he had done cracked off at the welds (who knows how long it lasted). I think that's the point he gave up. Since I didn't know the owner and picked it up on a toss of the dice, I decided to prove to myself that the motor wasn't locked up today. I pulled the plugs, loosened the belts, put a wrench on the harmonic balancer and turned the motor over no problem.

I've convinced myself that if I fix the starter issue I will have this thing running. I know it's not the technically correct way, but I'd like to try the fix the gentleman above implored and see how long it lasts. In the meantime I'll try to find another 4.3. The lakes I'll be using it on here in Dallas are tiny.

Since I am not familiar with a lot of what I am looking at, would it be OK to ask a few additional questions about some other things I am seeing? There are some disconnected wires around the carb (I can post pics). I need to know the correct fluids for the various reservoirs. I would also like to know what items I absolutely need to inspect before dropping it in the water (assuming I fix the starter issue).

GA_Boater - thank you for moving this to the correct place. Obviously, I am a green horn!