4.3 alternator belt

jpo1953

Cadet
Just recently purchased a 1991 Thompson with a Mercruiser 4.3. The third time out this year it developed a squeal in the alternator belt. On closer inspection I found that the alternator is misaligned because the spacers and even the lock washers are missing. I can fab the spacers and align it all up, but this leads to my two part question I need help with! It has a cogged belt on it that doesn't seem right to me...Shouldn't it be a standard v-belt? And is there a reason why I can't just pickup a gates automotive belt?, and a inch shorter as the ajustment is about to the end of the bracket.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3 alternator belt

Ayuh,... It might be a segmented belt, but it ain't cogged....

Yes, it's a standard automotive belt...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It has a cogged belt on it that doesn't seem right to me...

If your belts are like the picture below, it's not really a cogged belt, those little cut out make the belt flex easier. With or without those cutouts doesn't matter.

notched-side-v-belt-11723.jpg

jpo1953

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys! The belt does look like the ones in the picture. Thought they were refered to as cogged. My Bad! When I saw that the power steering was a standard v-belt I thought the alternator belt was some kinda hogepodge