3g Ps3

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
I'm trying to find out if connecting a ps3 to a 3G network is possible. My son has a laptop and for Christmas he wants mobile internet added to it. We are going to be getting him one of the cards from Verizon. Can a ps3 use the wireless card or connect to the laptop for internet? I don't think the ps3 has any drivers to handle a direct plug in but, I don't really know about these things.
Thanks.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: 3g Ps3

Not sure what you mean by a "ps3," but I just went through this last night with a Sprint 3g aircard.

Sprint wants to sell its customers a gizmo that is essentially a wireless network, but for internet only. I switched to them a couple of months ago from cable internet and also finished refurbishing a couple of computers, so I wanted to get my network going again.

The trick to using a USB aircard to feed internet to a network, is to have one computer receive internet directly from the card, and set the others up to receive internet from that computer. You don't want each one trying to get internet through a router, as you might with DSL or cable. When you go through the "set up a home network" wizard, you will see what I am talking about.

You also have to pick the right connection (host computer) in "Network Connections." When you get to that window, you will see "Dial-up" connections and "LAN or High-Speed Internet." Because you are using a network, its easy to make the mistake of trying to select one of the options in the second group. A cellular aircard is treated by Network Connections as a Dial-Up connection, so that's what you want. In this case too, its easy to make a mistake, because you will see an option for a CDMA connection and a 3G connection - the CDMA connection (which should describe your USB aircard too) is what you need to use.

Next on the list is your firewall - that must be set properly to allow the satelite computers to receive internet via the network. I use Zone Alarm and am currently fighting with it to allow traffic to pass. For some reason, it doesn't want to do this, even though I have my network set as a "Trusted Zone." Until I get this figured out, I will have to kill my firewall, if I want internet access on the other computers. This is not something that I am very comfortable doing, so I'll be doing my homework on the subject later today.

The bottom line is, yes, you can do what you want to do.

???

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply jay.

Where we go camping signal is great, just not sure if he will be able to play online with it.

MMM...don't mean to offend, but isn't the whole idea of camping to get away from all the tech of the world?

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

MMM...don't mean to offend, but isn't the whole idea of camping to get away from all the tech of the world?

Sure is. Dang kids don't understand that though. We probably go camping more often than the average family also.
My kids can only go about four days without internet before they start freaking out. Oldest kid is in some sort of "gamer clan" and he is supposed to attend a certain amount of games per week to stay in it. I dont care about that stuff but, thats what he wants for Christmas.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

OH! An Emily Latella moment, for sure! I thought a PS3 was a computer, I guess that shows you how much I know about gaming.

I would say that, if the play station can connect to and receive internet from any other computer, it ought to work with an aircard. One thing that you might want to look into, however, is how much bandwidth it takes for him to do his gaming online. I say this only because I don't have a clue, but know that all of the cellular companies are limiting 3G bandwidth to 5 gigs per month. Obviously, that could be an issue, if the connectivity results in heavy usage.

I'll leave the other info up, just in case anyone else is trying to figure out how to feed a network from an aircard.

???