350 mercruiser problem and solution

zx9rstv

Seaman
I figured I would post this here for anyone that might have similar symptoms with their boat. I recently re powered my 90 sea ray 280 sundancer. I had a shop do it in Pompano Beach. I've been very happy with their service and they have gone out of their way to help me. After the repower I had taken the boat out for the first time. Both engines started and idled beautifully at the ramp. After parking the truck and trailer and then getting underway. I noticed my rpms start dropping on my port engine. I bumped the throttle a little and the engine just died. I immediately tried to restart it, and it wouldnt unless I pumped the throttle a couple times. It would then rev up high then die. I was beside myself. Luckily I have 2 motors So i continued the rest of the day on the 1 engine just running it at low wake speeds to and fro. The starboard engine ran great. I have a single tank in the boat that feeds both engines.

The next day i called the shop which performed my work and explained the situation. He asked if I had ever switched the fuel in the tank ( the boat had been sitting for a yr before I bought it at a marina in dry storage) I indicated at that time no I hadn't. I then called a reputable guy that does fuel dialysis in my area. He came out and hooked up his machine and cycled my fuel for about an hour doing various checks and cleaning techniques. He said my fuel was in great shape. No ethanol separation, very little water, and no varnish. I also replaced my lines from the tank to the port motor. replaced the fuel separator off the tank and put a new fuel filter on the motor. I thought to myself this has to fix the problem. Took the boat out a second time. It did the exact same thing. I then followed the fuel system check list in the Adults section and came to the conclusion there is something wrong with the carb that came with the remaned engine. Called the shop scheduled to have the boat come in. explained to them what happened , what I did , and what I thought the solution was.

A week later they call me and said the boat was ready. I get there and he hands me a piece of wire and says it was a loose wire on the dizzy. I explained that the symptoms didn't correlate with an electrical problem because it only happened under load, and asked if someone could go the ramp nearby so I could test the engine under load while on the trailer. SO they happily sent their tech with me. After about an hour of messing with the boat and trying to get it to keep running. The tech finally agreed that the carb was bad or not rebuilt right and said they would put a new one on. I went back the shop they immediately pulled a brand new ( not rebuilt) carb off the shelf and slapped in on. engine runs great now. Thanks Daddy O's Marine for your consistent customer service and dedication to resolving issues. I'd alos like to add that they have long blocks with new intake and exhaust manifolds, risers, carb, water pump, and t-stat housing for $2795. Great deal for what they offer. accessories would need to be transferred. (pullies, alternator, wiring, etc) This is the engine only. I paid extra to have them installed.