350 EFI mercruiser idle.

gish498

Cadet
Re: 350 EFI mercruiser idle.

Ok guys I know its the weekend but I got another piece of the puzzle for ya. A friend of mine suggested I remove the air filter AMD start it so I did and it idled fine. The filter doesn't really appear dirty but it seemed to make a huge difference.

gish498

Cadet

Ok scratch that. I did all that and we took it out today and it started and idled fine then when we took off it sounded like it was missing but then cleared right up..Got where we was goin and all was well. Started it a few hours later AMD left and all was well. Took about a twenty minute ride and all was good. Went to put it on the trailer and it started the sparratic idle again. Nothing has changed. I don't understand why sometimes its fine and then others its not.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

No expert here ... but the link Don sent you is for a 93 to 97 motor and fuel injected...... so it has sensors/computer crap on it.

I would have someone put a scan tool on it to tell ya what is wrong with it. You could do a full tune up on it...Cap,rotor, and so on... but that might not be the problem.

By the way small block Chevy's run the best on AC Delco plugs!

Just a thought! Good Luck!

gish498

Cadet

Ok I had had a hard time understanding why this was a hit and miss problem so I started turning wrenches and checked pretty much everything I could think of. Nothing seemed to help until I decided to check the iac valve. Sure enough it was a little gummed up so I cleaned it real good and the housing and put some seafoam in the gas tank and knock on wood it has been running really good now. Thank you guys for all of your suggestions. If anything else happens I will let you all know.

TilliamWe

Banned

... I decided to check the iac valve. Sure enough it was a little gummed up so I cleaned it real good and the housing and put some seafoam in the gas tank and knock on wood it has been running really good now...

Glad to hear it.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I had had a hard time understanding why this was a hit and miss problem so I started turning wrenches and checked pretty much everything I could think of. Nothing seemed to help until I decided to check the iac valve. Sure enough it was a little gummed up so I cleaned it real good and the housing and put some seafoam in the gas tank and knock on wood it has been running really good now. Thank you guys for all of your suggestions. If anything else happens I will let you all know.

You are the man! Thanks for the update. Mine is the same way...hit and miss. I wont be around my ski boat for another week or two so let us know how it goes.

gish498

Cadet

Ok guys its been almost a week and the idle problem appears to be fixed. We have had the boat out almost everyday since we got it and we love it. The only issue now seems to be that sometimes when I put it in reverse it dies. This is just every now and again. Other than that everything seems good. Oh and it is taking on water but I think I have found that problem. It looks to be coming in through the shift cable boot.