35 evinrude won't idle

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 35 evinrude won't idle

thanks for the reply<br />maybe you don't understand the whole story<br />This motor won't even idle on it's own. Ihave to manualy throttle it up back at motor or it will die if it even get's 8 to 900rpm from idle speed. Keep throwing things at me cause I need all the help I can get. Can I spray wd40 before it is running on the spots you discussed or do I need to do while it running? cause I am going to have to get help from my wife if I got to do it while it is running cause I have to play with the carb all the time just to keep it going. thanks again <br />thats it for me today I am going to toy with this motor again monday night!!!!!!! :confused:

petryshyn

Commander

>monday night do the suggested in the above post. It must be done while engine running or you won't see the difference.<br /><br />>one last technique<br /><br />-turn idle screw in till just bottoms<br />-back out 3 full turns<br />-start engine and rev up to around 2000-3000rpm keeping it there<br />-with your hand, quickly and totally plug off carb air inlet until engine dies.(must be done quickly) I'm hoping this will either dislodge dirt, or aggrivate the problem to the point of easy detection. Remember....we are going on what you tell us, so best to re-evaluate (don't want to find bad ignition this far down the road)

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I may be way off base here, but is there an inline fuel filter? Maybe it's clogged enough to the point that at low speeds, there's not enough pressure to pull the fuel through the filter, but at higher speeds it can...<br /><br />Just a thought.<br /><br />Rex

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

>ran compression check again tonight 145 and 150 on the other<br />>spark quality seems to be good??<br />>does have fresh fuel<br />>carb to timeing sync. o.k.<br />>brand new plugs<br />>both look the same blackish color<br />>reeds look fine<br />>carbs couldn'tbe any cleaner and I looked for cracks under a magnifing glass<br />>sprayed crack between cases and outside of carb. during running and didn't make a difference<br />>no bleeder lines off<br />>unit runs good on wd40<br />>I don't know for sure if it leaves a oil slick on the water???<br />>ran motor at 3000 rpm and put hand over carb intake and killed motor 3 or 4 times.<br />>does not have a seperate inline fuel filter except the screen on the stock fuel pump which is all brand new. Didn't buy this until I was having trouble. bought the complete unit.<br />>is there any other ideas out there??????<br />>This is realy bothering me !!!!!!<br />>Can I check the stator with a regular ohm meter???If so what scale mil ohm???? I tryed and it is not testing right with my meter if I did it right. please somebody let me know... thanks to everybody that as helped :mad:

petryshyn

Commander

>take a timing light and connect to top cylinder plug wire. Check timing mark at slowest speed possible. While watching timing mark, does the mark appear to move back and forth erratically? Try this on both cylinders.<br />>does it miss a flash now and then?<br />>what is the advance at slowest speed?

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

put timeing light on motor I have an old light and it really wasn't flashing it pretty well just stayed on at that rpm but this is what I got<br />>top cyd. 8 degrees<br />>bottom couldn't even see a mark it is about 1/2 a turn off.<br />>both of them seemed like they didn't fluctuate much.<br /> I can get a different timeing light tuesday if you think it is needed.....<br />thanks again and let me know if these figures mean anything......<br />by the way I am guessing the rpm was 2000 to 3000....

petryshyn

Commander

get a better light,(maybe light OK and ign bad) slow the speed till it starts misbehaving, then observe......

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

tried new timing light and the #1 top cyl. is 6 to 8 deg. is steady then every now and then moves 1 to 2 inches and does about the same on the other cyd. also bottom cyd. is about a 1/2 distance around flywheel where it times. My book doesn't tell me what this should time at except at full load and rpm... Does these symtoms mean anything to anybody?????? I am getting real desperate to get this fixed. Should I just go buy a stator ????? I know it isn't the power pack because I put a new one on I had. Or is it not the ignition??? Could it be coil bad??? <br />thanks again and I hope this rings a bell for you

petryshyn

Commander

hi<br />You say every now and then it moves 1"-2"<br />>When it is steady, is the idle still bad?<br /><br />You said previously that it had a good consistant spark<br />>consistant spark=good pack, coil, stator<br /><br />You said before engine ran smooth on WD-40<br />> Engine must be lean<br /><br />You said carb was pulled down done 2 times<br />> not a dirt problem<br /><br />you said adjustments had no effect, you've backed out idle screw<br />> engine must be lean from other leaks<br /><br />you said spraying WD-40 had no effect when sprayed on crancase, carb body, fuel pump body and under flywheel<br />>be sure that no external carb 'drilled port' plugs are missing<br />>be sure the packing nut around the idle mixture screw is snug <br /><br />**Because its not an obvious problem....<br /><br />I'd aquire one of these
spark.jpg
to be sure of ignition. The ugly thing is.....a weak spark can be compensated by a rich mixture...<br />>remove both plugs from engine<br />>ground one plug wire directly to block<br />>install tool in other wire<br />>set tool at 1/2"<br />>pull or crank engine over and CAREFULLY observe spark. Is it intermittent at all?<br />>if spark whiteish blue and consistant.....I'd pull the powerhead and do a crankcase leakage test......and eliminate those leaking crank seals.<br /><br />You might want to get a second opinion, cause that ain't an easy job.....<br /><br />Good Luck!

signfinder

Seaman Apprentice

I finally found the problem!!!!<br />It was the rubber seal around the idle jet was shot... I was messing with it and it dawned on me it felt loose after you mentioning about this seal. so I took it out and installed a new one and it came right to a nice idle the first starting of the motor.Thanks one and all that have helped me stab this problem in the ass. This one really stumped me. And thanks goes to schmatic for the great support in this great struggle :) ;) :p :cool:

pooz

Recruit

signfinder- I read your discussion regarding the 35 hp evinrude that won't idle. I have a 1980 85hp evinrude with similar problem - starts fine with the idle lever raised, revs to 4500rpm, but as soon as i push the idle lever to flat the motor stalls. I tried dropping the idle lever fast and slamming the throttle forward to keep it running and it ran, but with the throttle lever pushed forward it won't get above 200rpm and has no power. I chamnged gas, checked fuel line connections, changed fuel line screen, looked for vacuum leaks - no luck. It seems like it's starving for fuel or sucking air some where<br /> It seems like you solved your problem with a rubber seal around the idle jet. Now I am not much of a motor guy - I can do the routine stuff but when it comes to tearing apart a carb thats out of my league. Can you describe to me where this "idle jet" is on the motor and how to get to it? And how did you tell that the seal was bad? And was it readily available at the Evinrude parts dept at the shop? Any suggestions would be helpful - this motor has too much life left in it to go down because of a fuel issue. Thanks - pooz