30hp rude, stator / flywheel fault ???????

ukmember

Seaman
Hi all,

Did post another thread re lack of spark etc, did some basic fault finding and thought the fault stemed from the safety lanyard kill switch, that tested ok and during the testing tried to turn over engine again failed to spark, went to the rear of he flywheel and noticed a small piece of metal sticking out from below and tried to get it with my long nosed pliers but was unable to.

Decided to turn manually the flywheel and during turning noticed the continuity buzzer on the multimeter sounding.

Apart from winterising the engine towards the end of the season nothing has changed...........

Any ideas before i pull the flywheel on the weekend.

Cheers guys

Daren

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 30hp rude, stator / flywheel fault ???????

Could be anything, you won't know till you get it off, screw, piece of the trigger, stator???

ukmember

Seaman

Yeh,

Cheers, metalic piece was very thin and sheet type of metal. going for it on sunday hopefully the spare motor i have will yeild the same parts as this one, just very strange how it ran last season and not this ?????.

Regards

UKmember

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

my guess is you are seeing the lead cover or lead clamp, or something that is supposed to be there. You said you inspected the lanyard switch, there is also a safety switch within the control box that may have gone bad. I do not know if it simply keeps the motor "dead" or disables the starter solenoid.

ukmember

Seaman

Reading the oem manual which im fortunate to have seems to show the lanyard switch just cutting the spark to the coils,still allows the motor to turn over and just kills the " Spark ".

Could be wrong maybe someone else has the answer, the motor was sluggish to turn over, i put this down to a low charge in the batteries, put my booster pack on and she turned over like it should have.

I think only a strip down will show the problem, i will post pics of what i find maybe it will help others.

Regards

UKmember

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

i wasn't talking about the lanyard switch. There is a neutral safety switch within the control box. Put the motor in gear, then turn the key to start. If nothing happens then i guess it just disables the starter solenoid, and that's one less thing to worry about