30hp Evinrude mixture adjustment on carb

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Is this screw the mixture adjustment on this carb? '98 30hp. Just had someone rebuild carb, I don't think he adjusted it correctly and it is running very rich now. Not gonna take it back to the guy as I ended up getting into it with him on something and am done with him.

Anyway, is the procedure to start with this screw all the way in and then turn out 1.5 turns or something and then start from there? Engine makes a mess while running a garbage can, smokes like crazy while running. See pics. I know there will always be some leftover drips of unburned oil, but this is coming out brownish tan and puts a ton of sludge into the can while running.

Attachments

• photo267696.JPG
    photo267696.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 7
  • photo267697.JPG
    photo267697.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo267698.JPG
    photo267698.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 4

ob

Admiral
Yes. The top screw in the first pic is the idle mix adjustment screw. Have no idea where the sweet spot is on your particular engine , but lightly seated and 1 1/2 turns open seems a reasonable adjustment to start at. Just a FYI,, and not to influence your final setting but my 95' 70 hp. engine's mix screw sweet spot is 3 1/4 turns open.

Not clear whether your description of how the engine is running smoky and messy is before or after you have attempted to adjust the idle mix screws. The second pic you posted ,assuming the water in the can started clean and clear, looks to be possibly lower unit lube residue. I'd at least remove the lower unit drain plug and inspect for water intrusion. Past that, not knowing what all the mechanic may or may have not done, I can't advise any further.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is this electric start ?------Post picture of primer valve with red lever in the " run " position if so equipped.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
It is electric start and primer lever is in correct position. That was actually what I got into it with the guy who rebuilt the carb about. He kept telling me couldn't get it to run right and it was running rough and blowing a lot of crap out.

I go to his shop and he starts it up for me and is running it with the fast idle lever to keep it at like 1500 RPM, but it is running terrible. I look down and see the primer lever fully on. I ask him did you set everything up after you did the carb with the damn primer lever on??!!! He says...oh, no, the cover must have hit that when I took it off (which it can't do). So I reach down and throw the lever in the Run position and the thing start idling at 3K RPM.

I told him he was an idiot, hooked the boat up and left with it and threw 50% of what I owed him on the floor. So now I'm trying to set it up myself. It idles great now, just real rich. I wasn't sure if that was the idle mixture screw so I haven't touched it yet, well not a lot. I moved it slightly and noticed it changed the idle RPM, so I figured it was a mixture screw. I will turn it in and back it out 1 1/2 turns to start with and play with it from there.

Thanks.

JDusza

Ensign
And don't expect to run it in a barrel (suspect mechanic did at least this) and have it fine tuned. Fine tuning has to take place on the water with the engine under load. The mechanic can only do so much at his location.
J