30hp evin runs good then hits false limiter

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am still having some trouble with my 30hp that is a 1992. It runs good for a around 3-5 minutes then seems like it hits a false rev limit and will not go over somewhere around 15mph. It will rev up to that point fine then starts to do it and shuts it down. I was told to replace the coils and that should solve the issue but that is not the case after finally getting it running with the new ones in. Any suggestions on what it may be? It has new gas, plugs, coils, and hose from tank. thanks for your help, steve

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 30hp evin runs good then hits false limiter

Is the water pump working correctly?
Check the spark when it happens and see if you loose spark one one cylinder.

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe that the water pump is working correctly since it has water coming out. I will check all the wires on the coils and see if i can get it to do it then test the spark and such too. I was reading that the rectifier on one was bad. I am wondering where it is at to test it? I will be back to report when i am done. Thanks for your help. steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think i got it now. it ran good for about 20 minutes so i am calling it fixed. I had a plug wire that was not getting good contact with the plug ends. after testing it with a multimeter that i got tonight i could test them and was not getting continuity through it well. Thanks for your help with thinking of testing some of this stuff with it running. That is what made me take th wires off after checking the coils to see if there was good flow voltage going through them :D thanks so much, steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so after a couple of weeks now, it has started doing it again. Is the water pump a likely cause of this too, it was stated above but i never really thought it was a cause since i knew it ran fine? it did it once it slowed down for a bit. i was told that the water was really hot and not coming out real strong so i am thinking that is what it is. that is probably next on the list to look into anyway. Where is it, where can i find it to buy it, and how big of a pain is it to change? thanks for any help guys, steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class

bump again this site moves stuff down fast :( steve

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The water pump is located in the lower unit, you can get the any number of places, including right here on iboats.
Do you have a OEM manual for your engine, it will tell you how to drop the lower unit and replace the pump.

jbjennings

Captain

Your motor could be overheating for sure. Get a cheapo digital infrared thermometer from harbor freight tools, and make sure the head temp. doesn't get over 140 degrees. It's accurate enough, I could even see the head temp. going up and down when the thermostat opened on my johnson 30hp. I'm not sure if your motor has the feature, but some have a "S.L.O.W" mode that they kick into when they overheat, making the motor run very slow. I'd check that and see if your thermostat is working. If not, check the impeller. ASK HOW TO GET THE LOWER UNIT OFF!! It is a little tricky, if you haven't done it before.
Good luck,
JBJ

jbjennings

Captain

Well,
I'll get it over with::)

Take off the water inlet screens. Underneath, there is the shift shaft coupling. You will have to undo the screws in the coupling, but you're not finished there yet! Now, push up the acorn nuts and there will be a little black cone shaped retainer. It is a "split" style. Spread it and take off the tiny black retainer without losing it. Now, the connector will come apart. Remove lower unit bolts and the rest is obvious.
Good luck and it's not hard---don't lose the impeller key from the driveshaft.
JBJ

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks a ton for the help guys! I will see what i can do tonight when i get home. Ill check everything mentioned and see how it goes from there. thanks for your help. steve