305 running lean.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unless you need more than 27 ft lbs to keep it tight it was tight, but i think your right silvertip, i did infact have a choke spring that was gummed up, after i cleaned it off thats when she started backfiring through the carb, which is when i started fiddling with the timing. So now what rpm do i set timing at. And what degree btdc? My seloc says 8 and didnt state an rpm. I figured it was at idle. Btw the turning in the hole is side to side movement. Like its loose in the hole back and forth side to side. That and some missing seals is why i got the new distributor

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Does it idle at all? When it was running - was it like a pop - pop - pop thru the carb then when you throttle up the pop just keeps getting faster?

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I'm s little confused by a distributor wiggling side to side. If it were properly clamped it would not move. At all. If it still wiggles when properly clamped, well how? If it were properly clamped and wiggling the cam gears musty be completely spoken off. ..to the point of not running. I don't see how it can be clamped and still wiggle, and if possible, how could the motor even run?

More realistically, you just need to set timing, choke and adjust idle jets with a vacuum gage. Sounds like you have points so set dwell also. I don't see how your problem can be anything else than the combination of timing/points/choke/idle.

old bird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sounds like your distributor is not advancing. Idle "purrs" but won't rev up, advance dist. "Vroom" but won't idle.
check/clean the mechanical advance weights in the dist. under the plate

Last edited:

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like your distributor is not advancing. Idle "purrs" but won't rev up, advance dist. "Vroom" but won't idle.
check/clean the mechanical advance weights in the dist. under the plate

ya know i bet your right about it, i was advancing the spark by hand to get it up on the lake. No sense in ruining a day at the lake.
For all of you wondering about the the wiggle, the cloth oring seal that goes atop the engine was mia, so no matter how hard i tightened it, it wouldnt clamp up right.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you're on the right track. What counts is you get running right. Keep us posted when you get the install done.

NHGuy

Captain
There is a bushing in the distributor that might solve your looseness.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New distributor is in and running properly at 8 btdc idle at 1400 on the muffs. My quadrajet carburetor started pumping fuel through the accelerator pump yesterday, after i let it sit and dry out i was able to get it right on time. Imma rebuild that carb this week i dunno the last time it was done and fuel coming out of it when its flooded doesnt seem right to me. I guess i lost $ on this on i think the whole issue coulda been solved with some gaskets for the cap and distributor. Thats why she was wiggling around so dang much. Thanks for all who followed and for the next guy good luck.