303 lovers please advise

thegoodlife

Cadet
Bought my first boat last year. 03 FW with the nice light vinyl seats. Read great reviews about the 303 protectant on here so I bought some up and stayed on top of the cleaning and applying. Well I am not impressed. I can't say colors faded or the vinyl got stiff but you so much as look at the seats wrong and they stain. I don't mean get the soap and water out with some elbow grease, I mean bleach won't touch it stain. I know this is a down fall of light colors but come on. What can I do here. My seats are turning tie dye before my eyes. I have not tried too many harsh cleaning methods or chemicals as I am afraid it will only make the seats more prone to stains. Thoughts help suggestions? I would love to protect my seats better without getting out grandma's plastic couch covers.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 303 lovers please advise

I'm wondering what kinds of stains you are getting? are they scuffs from peoples feet? or food? Are you covering the boat? Is water getting inside and causing mold?

My boat is 16 yo and essentially the white/ teal interior is pretty nice! I use the Magic erasors throughout on scuffs or soiled spots and I use the 303 routinely to wipe things down. It's a good product and good for the exterior gelcoat too!

Thalasso

Commander

I would presume you are using the right 303 for what you are using it on.I now use Meguires leather cleaner and Meguires protectant. It does just as good a job and cheaper then 303. If your getting stains on your seats it's not because of the 303 not doing it's job.303 just keeps the leather from drying out because of the sun.The sun should bleach the stains out.Be careful using bleach. It will ruin your seats and stitching if your not careful.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Never been impressed with the early 2000 year "Aquaflex" vinyl in FW boats. Does not seem to hold up all that well, and is in need of regular cleaning and protectant. The stuff they put in the 2013 boats seems even worse, but the colors are generally darker.

Let the sun do the work on your discoloration, then use Meguiars for UV protection. The 303 for vinyl is over-rated. 303 for the canvas is great stuff however.

briangcc

Commander

Do you have all the paperwork that goes with the Four Winns? The reason I ask is that in one of the pamphlets that came with my '05 includes the steps for removing stains and protecting the vinyl. If you don't have that info, let me know and I'll see if I have my owners packet with me (at work currently but it might be in the bed of my truck).

FWIW: I've used Vinyl Soap and a 3M protectent to put the needed chemicals back into the vinyl seats to keep them soft. And the guys are right...the sun will bleach out the stains. Mine's covered with a travel cover but sits under a black walnut tree. Anytime those pesky squirrels drop the outer shell of the walnut, the green covering, onto my boat cover it stains not only the cover but whatever vinyl is underneath it. About a day out in the sun is all it takes to get those stains out as nothing else touches it. Tree is in my parent's yard so it stays...yes I have thought about cutting down the 100yr old black walnut tree as a solution.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

For those that say 303 is overrated, consider this.

I live 9000 feet above sea-level. The sun intensity here is absolutely devastating on vinyl. In addition to using 303 on my boat vinyl, I use it on my hot-tub cover. I had to finally replace the hot-tub cover after 10 years (it was cracking a little). The people at the hot tub place said "how many is this now?" When we told them this was the first replacement after 10 years, they were amazed. All we do is hit it twice a year with 303, and it sits in full sun all year long. NOTHING else has held up like this. I would bet the bank on 303. Oh, and if you're using it, you know it's expensive - but if you buy it by the gallon ($70 per gallon at Over Tonz) it's more affordable.

Oh, and for your stains (303 is NOT a stain preventer) stop allowing pigs, er, messy people on your boat.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Many people think "Protectant" means it will protect against everything. 303 for vinyl is a UV protectant, but will not prevent stains.
It's overrated as a "Do-All,Protect All" , but excellent for UV protection.

You can download the Four Winns manual from their website. Section M, page 4 & 5 tells about upholstery care. Here is a link, but not sure it will work. Can be found under Customer Service/Manuals/Year/Model. Link is for H180/H190/H200 models
http://www.fourwinns.com/upload/Documents/OwnersManuals/2003/180-190-200-Horizion-Manual.pdf

thegoodlife

Cadet

Great replies so far guys thanks! I am using the 303 from west with the blue label and car image. I understand its main purpose is for protecting against UV damage but I read lots of people saying that using the 303 they only had to use a damp rag to clean up stains. I would say the majority of my stains are organic. I have the same parking under a tree issue and it really came to a head this spring with the damn caterpillar droppings on my cover. The rain then drips on the vinyl and now it is a complete mess. Even when cleaning the boat though if a leaf, pine needle, hand print, ect dries in the water on the seats its permanent. Or if someone steps on a seat with a dirty foot and it dries its the same situation. Guess I am looking for more of a sealer. Not even sure if something like that exists.

lakegeorge

I have been using 303 for many years and never had a problem, I think it's a great product.

thegoodlife

Cadet

So far I have found nothing in the way of a "sealer" for the vinyl. There are plenty of seam sealers to keep water of of the stitched areas but thats about all I am finding.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

A "sealer" is not what you want. Vinyl needs to breathe, that is one reason boat builders tell you not to use Armor All on your vinyl, as it will
deteriorate the vinyl after time, since it does not allow it to breath.

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I understand your frustration. I bought a brand new boat in 2010 and immediately the cover bled on the white seats. :-( Then a week later beach towels that were wet dyed the seat within 15 minutes. I was heartbroken and distraught beyond words. As others have said....the sun is your friend. As soon as the stains have reduced then follow with the protectant. The 303 is safe for use on your seats but it is not a sealer and shouldn't be. As someone else has stated, do not seal your vinyl seats, they must breathe. The seat cushions are porous and this is why they pick up almost everything that touched them. Many people will tell you to use various products but please be sure and read your care guide. NEVER use bleach. Bleach will make them pretty for the short term but soon you will have deteriorated seats. I only use Marine care products to clean or plain water. Boats need to be kept dry and cleaned regularly for longevity. Boats need to breathe. Just an FYI...sun tan lotions are very hard on the porous seats as well. I always clean the boat before and after every outing. I know it sounds crazy but as you said any speck of dirt that gets ground in by hands etc is just that...a stain. Good luck and don't sweat the stains....just get the boat open and in the sun for a day. Then cover her up because while the sun is your friend for removing the stains, it is laso your worst enemy for drying your seats out. Welcome to boat ownership.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unfortunately, you don't know what the prior owner or detailer did to get them looking how there were when you bought it. They may have used something really harsh which damaged the vinyl.

thegoodlife

Cadet

Ahhhh ok, well that is too bad. Now there is some money to be made if someone can come up with a formula that actually allows the seats to breath but blocks the stains. Like a spray on gore tex! I would love to say misery loves company but it does not. I feel for anyone with this issue as it is highly disappointing to not be able to prevent such damage without standing guard in the boat with a damp cloth. Especially since we aren't talking $20 lawn chairs here. That is my exact fear, willy. As the previous owner had a bit of money and I believe just paid someone to clean it at the start and end of each season. Now while it looked good from being cleaned I would think each time it just became more susceptible to staining.

.... guess its time to get out the chain saw and fix the root cause of most my problems!

emilsr

Grandma's couch covers aren't as crazy as you think. I know a lot of folks that cover the vinyl with towels before they let anyone on their boat.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I would think bleach is indeed a very aggressive chemical cleaning product, and it may well ruin your vinyl allowing anything to absorb into your seats after the bleach cleaning. Did the stains seem to get worse after you used bleach? I think if people use it, most would use a diluted with water mix. If you used straight bleach, that's extreme, and may well be part of your current issue. Hope you can get the stains out and figure out what works best. I avoid white on my boats for this very reason.

1960vw

Seaman

303 is not the holy grail as people might want you to believe. There is not a product out there that is 100 % effective. I used it spring and fall last year before going on detail. Came back and seats and inner side rails were faded ( maroon)View attachment 203271View attachment 203272View attachment 203273View attachment 203274. Covered all this time and protected from elements , no snow here, went to prep my boat for the season last month and was horrified! Now I know the 303 loyalists will find some reason or fault on my part why this occurred. Be that as it may, try rubbing the spots with Magic Erasure gently but firmly. Some one else on this forum hinted on this and it works! I layered on some Meguires and brought most of its color back but not perfect. I can live with the imperfections, sure is cheaper that recovering with new !!! Pictures are before on one side and after treatment on the opposite side.