3 hp Gamefisher spark issue.

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1970 3 hp with the EZ start magneto. Good points, condensor, and a new coil with the built in wire. I have rare spark holding the plug wire directly and have never gotten spark at the plug. I've set the points properly and then wrong a few times just to try it. I don't understand the problem. In my mind good components means good fire. Any ideas?

keith-uk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 3 hp Gamefisher spark issue.

As you say the coil is new, the points and condenser are all ok, is the coil setup close enough to the flywheel to pick up the magnetic field from the magnet in the flywheel.
Other than that is sounds like one of the components is not doing its job and will need replacing.

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As you say the coil is new, the points and condenser are all ok, is the coil setup close enough to the flywheel to pick up the magnetic field from the magnet in the flywheel.
Other than that is sounds like one of the components is not doing its job and will need replacing.

It's an Ezee Start magneto. The coil can't be adjusted closer or further from the flywheel. Everything else has been tested 3 or more times.

robert graham

Admiral

I've had that 3HP Gamefisher(Tanaka) outboard for 25+ years and love it on my canoe. If all your components are good, how about the spark plug wire and the spark plug. I've had a few plugs that looked pretty good, but wouldn't spark very well, maybe fine cracks in center electrode insulator? Good Luck!

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had that 3HP Gamefisher(Tanaka) outboard for 25+ years and love it on my canoe. If all your components are good, how about the spark plug wire and the spark plug. I've had a few plugs that looked pretty good, but wouldn't spark very well, maybe fine cracks in center electrode insulator? Good Luck!

It comes in one piece for this motor..Coil and wire. I did find the problem however. I didn't clean the points good enough. One more time with the 1000 grit and she almost stopped my heart. I threw it back together and added some fuel and it started 2nd pull and 1st everytime thereafter.