3 blade prop vs 4

charlie_kula

Seaman Apprentice
I run a 4 blade SS prop today on a 300 hp Evinrude 88. It is a 21" Mercury Revolution 4. I hit 5500-5600 rpm at WOT making approx 60 mph. <br /><br />What pitch will I be able to pull if switching to an OMC Raker prop? I have heard 4 blade props lowers rpm compared to a same pitch 3 blade prop. True or false?<br />Will I get more vibrations?<br />Higher top end speed?<br /><br />Greatful for help!

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 3 blade prop vs 4

The particular set-up you have will determine what recommendation would be best.<br />High-horsepower, high-speed rigs typically benifit from 4-blade, larger diameter props due to blade surfacing.<br />Tell us more about your set-up...boat type, jackplate, etc.

charlie_kula

Seaman Apprentice

It is a 24 foot lean race hull type of day cruiser. Weights about 2300 lbs.<br /><br />The engine is 20" sitting on a 20" transom. It is elevetad about 4-5".<br /><br />Its a real smooth rider especielly in tough sea and higher speeds.

walleyehed

Admiral

The revolution is going to be a tuff prop to beat for your application.<br />I don't feel you would gain anything noticable speed-wise with a Raker, and I think you would loose some hole-shot. You would also loose some holding power in rough water.<br />Calculations show top-speed at 5600 to be around 57MPH with 21" pitch and near perfect efficiency.<br />BUT, the revolution pulls the same as most other SS props of 1" MORE pitch.<br />If you have a prop-shop that will allow you to try other props, go ahead and try something else, but from the numbers you give, I don't think you will find a better combo than what you have now.<br />Can you raise the engine any farther??? are you on a jackplate??

charlie_kula

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Walleyhead,<br /><br />I think I stick with the revolution then.<br /><br />My engine is bolted and there is no jack-plate.<br /><br />Actually the prop have tendency to ventilate, using to great trim angles, so I think the height is near limit.

walleyehed

Admiral

the less you have to trim to get the required results, the better off you will be. If you can trim up quite a bit without cavitating, the eng. could stand to come up another hole.

charlie_kula

Seaman Apprentice

Actually the boat does not benefit from trimming as it is set up now. <br /><br />It runs best having the engine pretty straight. Especially when trying WOT you have to be careful with the trim to avoid wobble.<br /><br />When the sea is choppy it is better to trim in a little to press the nose down.

walleyehed

Admiral

By "wobble" do you mean the side to side motion, known as "chine-walking"????

charlie_kula

Seaman Apprentice

Something like that. <br /><br />Using to much trim on this one, the boat rides on a minimum of hull. With the full power engine, even moderate waves will kick it around. <br /><br />The feeling is somewhat like the grease in a fry pan.<br /><br />I guess it is possible to gain some knots, but it feels like the ride can get a very abrupt ending. Perhaps if you have split second reaction it could work. But thats nothing for me.

walleyehed

Admiral

I'm going to see if I can hook you up with a guy here that may be able to change that ride charactoristic into "smooth as silk". I'll see if I can line him up on here tomarrow.<br />Hold what ya got, we'll talk tomarrow!<br />K