3.5 mercury side shifter FNR question

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 3.5 mercury side shifter FNR question

Chinewalker and Gerry, I called Mercury this am.. said he had a manual for the serial # I gave him but he could not detail what I explained so, I drained the lower gear and removed the gear housing again..and found out it wasn't aligned to receive the shift rod.. oh man was that ever so sweet to see it go in upon re-installing after aligning the hole correctly:) now it works.. I started her up and it shifts fine, Still see residue though and so thinking I used a few bucket washes of simple green to wash her out. Not sure yet if I need a lower seal kit but it probably is a good idea. Just not sure if I can install the seals myself or have it serviced. The O ring seal looked fine and tight so I think it is just a litle residue yet. Will let you know.

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice

One other thing, and maybe I should look first for a thread or start one here.. I have used quick silver premium 2 cycle outboard oil for this Merc 3.5 at the 50:1 ratio mix and 100:1 yamaha 2 hp as recommended.. somebody elsewhere said to go with Royal purple TCW 111 high performance 2 cycle (synthetic oil. Is this okay to use because I bought it for all my smaller 2 stroke engines like the blower /weedwacker/chainsaws..I guess I could find a thread on oil but want your opinions.. thank you all once again for helping, John Oh, forgot to also ask, we have 89 ocatane so you think it is better 89 over 87 and also add a fuel additive like startron with the mix? ty all

Last edited:

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice

Everything went good, I washed the housing in a 5 gallon bucket for a good cleaning using simple green detergent which is an all purpose cleaner. Still have milky water but it is getting cleaner and do not think it is seals or O rings cause I think they look pretty good.. most likely residue lithium grease I put on the splines. I will run it tomorrow and see if it runs cleaner in the bucket again to be sure. Otherwise I will have it serviced with a lower seal kit.

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice

I ran my 2hp yahama after spring tune-up and is is clean with no trace of oil leak.. this motor I will use until I get the 3.5 mercury seal kit for the lower. It seems it may have a worn seal as it is evident in the bucket. Even after an hour purging it with simple green and water. there seems to be yet a milky oil film the the water settled overnight. But at least I got it ready to this point. I'll let you know after the seal kit I must order. Later, John

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice

Gerry, anybody.. Thread Tools
Search Thread
Rate This Thread

Today, 11:12 PM #1
1983ruston
Cadet

Default leaking fuel on tilt up

Hello, I finished everything and the flush prop wash is clean but, when I tilt my motor up, it drips fuel from the choke housing area.. this is model serial number 6318559.. I purchased back in 1983..have change all the parts I thought needed but not sure why it drips mix fuel when I tilt it up on the sawhorse! the prop wash on idle (neutral) looks pretty good. Can anyone help me ? there is no manual available and parts are either discontinued or hard to find online. The motor was garage stored for decades and hardly used before that.. albeit, old but in goodt running condition.

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice

I finished using the seal and gasket kit.. man what a jigsaw puzzle for diy ..! Most seals and hardest part assembly was on the water pump.. but everything worked and the lower O ring was easiest.. didn't bother trying to ratchet off the gear housing seal. Not sure how as there is no way to grip the drive. I doubt it is leaking anyway and confirmed a much cleaner bucket after assembly and test wash. I also figured to flush/wash the inside with "simply green" detergent and I see very little if any film residue. Still my, yamaha 2 hp is so much cleaner exhaust at 100:1 I may not enjoy using this old 3.5 mercury 50:1 and put it on Craigs list for 350.00 take care everybody and enjoy! John

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice

Being I now have two trolling outboards, I'm going to sell this mercury for 350.00 if anyone is interested pm me.