3.0 tks seized - ran with no oil

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
1 remove outdrive as bondo posted above ,
2 remove unplug socke t/ wires and make sure no wires grounding bonding wires ect are still connected to engine starter will have red wire going to it from battery.
3 remove fuel line and plug with something that will seal fumes wirenut dowel ect
that will seal the fumes
4. unbolt the front motormount from the floor 1 bolt each side
unbolt the two bolts on the transom plate holding the engine bellhousing to plate
5 remove engine.

Reactions: vak

vak

Seaman Apprentice
Do I have to drain lower unit oil before removing the sterndrive?

Found the trim rams...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Do I have to drain lower unit oil before removing the sterndrive?

Found the trim rams...

Nope. It can be drained later, I drain it and pressure check it before removing it, as I have no stand at home to put it on. If I have it at work it gets the stand and can be checked over at any time.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
while you have lower unit removed replace the trim sensors the water pump impeller and other parts that show wear check pins and when you are putting it back together remember plastic shims and spacers and for the love of god the big cotter key in the bottom and of course all of the stainless wires for the bonding . definitely get the manuals and watch them closely

vak

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have a recommendation about where to get a service manual? It's 2007 3.0 tsk alpha (carbureted). The boat is 2007 searay 175 sport.

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone have a recommendation about where to get a service manual?

Ayuh,..... Follow the links in Don'S Adults Only section, found at the top of the I/O forums, or in my signature,....

Reactions: vak

vak

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I removed the filter. There was some oil in it, I did not notice any obvious problems. What is the best way to cut it open? Hacksaw?

Attachments

• photo256940.JPG
    photo256940.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 0

vak

Seaman Apprentice
I made some progress...

IMG_3402.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3402.JPG
    IMG_3402.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 0

vak

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like I need a new gasket. What are good places to buy them? IMG_3412.JPG

vak

Seaman Apprentice
It snowed today...
Tomorrow, I'm pulling the boat out of the garage and removing engine anyway!

Any last words of wisdom before I screw anything up?

So far I understood that I need to disconnect all the wires and the fuel line. Then pull the engine. I have 1000lb rated ratchet tiedowns. Would they be good enough to connect the hoist to the gantry and the hoist to the engine?

The engine opening looks painfully small...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Tiedowns are not a good thing to lift with, they are designed for holding down an object, not lifting. I'd at least get a come along for pulling the motor, and at that, a come along is for moving a load, horizontally across. Not really meant for lifting, but still safer than a strap. Remember be safe!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
get you a electric winch 65 bucks at Walmart able to stand 1200 lbs , then use a chain adjusting it from about 1.4 way back from front eye to back so you are pulling up on front and out , you might have to move boat back first to clear box then forward to get the engine out

Scott06

Vice Admiral
1 ton chain fall is about $40 at harbor frieght or northern tools.