3.0 OMC runs for 30 seconds, once a day

pmpmstrb

Cadet
Re: 3.0 OMC runs for 30 seconds, once a day

Did you have the drive down when it quit running the last time?

Might want to post some pictures of your ball gears.

I'd pressure test the cooling system. Then run the engine on the hose for about 90 minutes. If I found the block cracked, I'd push the rig to the curb with a free boat sign on it.
If the engine checks out, I'd look for a parts boat alright, but it would be a Mercruiser 3.0 powered boat with a broken engine. Then I'd pull the good 3.0 out of that rig and give the rest away.

How can I run the engine on the hose for 90 minutes if my outdrive has failed and is off the boat? How do I hook up the hose?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

How can I run the engine on the hose for 90 minutes if my outdrive has failed and is off the boat? How do I hook up the hose?
pull the raw water feed hose from the intermediate housing -the one that goes up to the thermostat housing (usually starboard side of valve cover).
Put one of these in the end of it
98724478-100x100-0-0.jpg
Connect the garden hose into that hose so it feeds water into the thermostat housing of the engine. Turn hose on full and start it up.

How did your shift cable make during outdrive removal?

1980 drive is incompatible as a complete unit, as it uses a different lower unit, but the upper gearbox should work for you.
Lower will look the same until you look for a rectangular anode above the propeller. 1980 won't have it, 1984 will have it - different shift style, and requires a lot of different parts inside the boat. Also 1980 lower was worst of the worst...chances of it working well in 2011 are slim.

pmpmstrb

Cadet

pull the raw water feed hose from the intermediate housing -the one that goes up to the thermostat housing (usually starboard side of valve cover).
Put one of these in the end of it
98724478-100x100-0-0.jpg
Connect the garden hose into that hose so it feeds water into the thermostat housing of the engine. Turn hose on full and start it up.

How did your shift cable make during outdrive removal?

1980 drive is incompatible as a complete unit, as it uses a different lower unit, but the upper gearbox should work for you.
Lower will look the same until you look for a rectangular anode above the propeller. 1980 won't have it, 1984 will have it - different shift style, and requires a lot of different parts inside the boat. Also 1980 lower was worst of the worst...chances of it working well in 2011 are slim.

OK I'll have to try and stop by and do the water test tonight. The shift cable made it out perfectly fine. Do they normally get damaged in the process? That sucks on the 1980 rive being incompatible. What about a 1985 unit #983486?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I don't know that number, but a drive from a 1982-1985 2.5L or 3.0L will work for you

The cables are sometimes stuck in the intermediate pretty good. It is expensive, so good it came out.

pmpmstrb

Cadet

I am looking into whole outdrives. Is there a link you can share that shows model number compatibilty? Or can you list a few that are compatible? I have found a 1982 parts boat that is semi local to me. I want to make sure the outdrive is compatible before wasting time going to look at it. I should have the model number later today, but it would be nice to have a short list of compatible models while I am scouring Craigslist.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I want to make sure the outdrive is compatible before wasting time going to look at it. I should have the model number later today, but it would be nice to have a short list of compatible models while I am scouring Craigslist.

there is no reliable reference for omc stringer gearbox model tag numbers that I am aware of
they weren't really referenced after the drive left the factory

pmpmstrb

Cadet

I figured that was the case. Any idea if a 1982 model #982460 is compatible?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I don't know that number, but a drive from a 1982-1985 2.5L or 3.0L will work for you
:) same deal again- I don't have any reference for the numbers

1982 -1985 lower unit has a square zinc anode above the propeller. 1979-1981 lowers do not. That is your best way to ID.
400 series have 13 spline propshafts.
as far as the upper gearcase, well anyone can rebuild any 1979-1985 upper to any gear ratio and leave the old model tag, or they can swap a V6 or V8 upper onto a 400 series lower

unless the seller is very knowledgeable, you'll have to go look, and do your research...count turns to figure ratios and count splines.
It's October... slow down and make sure it's the right thing would be my advice...no one's likely to buy anything out from under your nose in Oct...

only look for freshwater parts and be ready to reseal whatever you buy, and replace water pump shaft and impeller probably.

pmpmstrb

Cadet

I did pick up on the square anode from an earlier post, I've learned that much. Just to double check. I am looking for a square anode, cable shift, 13 spline propshaft outdrive? As long as the upper hasn't been re-geared it should work, right?