3.0 mercruiser 1987

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well been sick for a while. Now getting ready to pull the engine. Block patch held. But when the motor was running I got a large stream of water coming from inspection cover at the starter area. Many says freeze plug. Or core plug what ever your preference is. But on examination of the engine diagram. Only one expansion plug there and its on the crank and for oil not water. There is a pipe plug, its a 3/8 and i dont believe thats it as the stream was rather large. So hoping the block isn't cracked there also.
Well I guess the only way to find out is to pull it. So took off the outdrive, just to prevent any damage to engine coupler or other. Only adds 10.00 for a gasket set. And cheap insurance i think. So more later,

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... The drive Has to come off before the motor is pulled, All the time, Every time,....

'n I believe you'll find 1 core plug with water behind it, 'n up to 3 welch plugs with oil behind 'em,....

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Well according to marina not. And just one plug. LOL! So should be interesting. Also according to the print i brought up #4 is a expansion plug on crank.

Attachments

• photo227368.png
    photo227368.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 0

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Well Bondo one marina" 0" LOL!

Decided to get ready to pull the boat engine this afternoon. So set it up with a tarp for shade, and started unhooking hoses at about 4:30. Once I started i just kept going. By 6:00 motor was out and hanging, and tools and mess cleaned up., Core hole cleaned and ready for new plug. Not bad for an old over the hill Mechanic.Of coarse the core plug was located behind the flywheel. So Drive coupler, flywheel and the inspection cover all required to be removed.

So in morning i'll scrub and hose out the bilge. Replace the intake hose now that i can get to it. Replace core plug and start putting it back. hopefully no more surprises.
Asked the marina what this job would cost. He said they did 5 this year. They ran 800.00 - 1400.00 depending on what they got into.
So wahoo! Money in my pocket. Surprising motor looks great. Gaskets and seals not leaking, Fly wheel looks great, no wear on teeth.Coupler looks good but will clean and re grease before reinstalling.

Attachments

• photo227380.jpg
    photo227380.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227381.jpg
    photo227381.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227382.jpg
    photo227382.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ain't that cute. Amazing how fast you can pull a boat motor when you have an overhead structure or a tall enough picker. Hour or so and poof, out. Boats is great that way.

RIck

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Back on the water for under 20 bucks, now that's what it all about! :thumb:

Be sure to recheck alignment since you had it all apart.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok engine fixed with a new copper plug and back in boat., Scrubbed bilge and replaced intake hose. Put muffs on, turned on blower, hit key and nothing! I could hear the draw on blower fan when i turned on the key. Been off maintainer a few weeks. So back on charger and will check it out after my dentist appointment. Long hot day today. Starter didn't even click. Wondering if maybe my wires may be wrong somewhere or not connected. So will investigate tomorrow.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh and 18.00 dollars for a brass core plug is plain insanity.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Check battery voltage so you know for sure whether it is a poor battery or a problem in the wiring. Beats walking back....

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well mainter/charger plugged in overnight. Ready charged. But not even a click when i hit key. So jumped across the positive cable on starter to solenoid. Clicked a couple times and then nothing. To hot for me outside to mess with it now. Maybe later or in the morning. Starter was fine before,so figure it still is. But will recheck voltage and ground on battery. Pretty sure wiring is right. But will look for a photo of another 3.0 and double check. Just trying to think of ideas to check when i can,.