3.0 LX Ignition Issue

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Just wanted to "put it out there",
From the first post I read, it seemed to me that the root problem was initial fuel quality.
Not sayin that there were no other probs that needed attention -
just that my 1997 3.0 ran like crap on spring startup - which (in the past) started with fresh gas being added to the fuel tank.
This issue has "motivated" me to drain the tank as part of my winterization routine.
SInce the tank draining started - no more rough, difficult starts - surging - generally embarrising performance probs in spring.
Best O luck.

Vegas Naturist

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pro-crastinator, Thanks for the input! I had considered fuel quality but dismissed it because the fuel was relatively fresh. During our typical season, we run quite a few tank fulls through her. Here in the Desert Southwest, our boating season can easily last into late October. And in reality, can be year round. This season, our last outing was at Lake Havasu the end of September and into October. At that time, there was fresh fuel in Skinnydipper, and there was just less than a quarter tank of fuel when we took her home. She then went to the marine shop for the repairs. When we took her back to Havasu for the weekend, I topped off the tank with 20 ga of new fuel. She has a 28 ga tank. IMHO there's no reason 4 month old fuel would be considered stale fuel, especially when 20 ga of new fuel was added to it. Now there one time when the boat sat out for an entire season, and I was very concerned. In that case, I dumped a heavy dose of Seafoam in the tank, topped her off, and ran the **** out of her until that tank was gone. She didn't seem to care and ran great! How long fuel lasts may be environmental? In more humid and/or colder climates vrs the warm/dry climate of Southern Nevada. Dunno...

Oh, and procrastinate now! Don't put it off...

John