3.0 Litre Merc Spring Priming via carb vent

xanthras

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got around to pulling our boat out of storage. We have real issues getting it to start every spring. This year we popped off the fuel pump filter cap to see if we even had gas there. Dry as a bone. We kept cranking and (For a long while with starting fluid)and finally we got it to tke off. I am guessing in the off season this lines just drains out or evaporates from sitting. Carb.jpg

Can I prime the carb bowl to help with this? I believe it is a Rochester 2 Barrel. I am thinking the circled area in the pic is where I can fill it up. I figure if the carb bowl is full it may prime the rest of the line faster.

Anyone have a better idea or feedback? Thanks!

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 3.0 Litre Merc Spring Priming via carb vent

I would think if you can get gas into the bowl from the vent it should work fine. I don't have one of those carbs so I can say authoritatively.
I can say though, you could just use some carb cleaner, and clean the carb while you're there. You can keep it running on the carb cleaner for the few seconds it will take for it to draw fuel from the tank. That's what I do when I work on a carb and the bowl is empty.

Chris

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Filter from what? Fuel Pump or Carb inline fliter? Also you should not have to prime the carb, thats what the fuel pump does. If you disconnect the fuel line at carb and place the end into a bucket, crack engine over and see if you are getting fuel to carb line.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

when changing fuel sep filters, pre-fill them first. The area circled is the vent and you can fill the bowl
that way.