29' Carter Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 29' Carter Safari

glad to hear you are still out there. I had to fly to Salt Lake City for some training on my new job. when I got back to Ontario,Calif. I jumped on on the I15 to head home. In Rancho Cucamanga (or however you spell it). I spotted a Safari in a Insurance Yard, It seems to have been stripped of it running gear. I would like to get back down there at the end of the week and see what the story is on it. and which hull it is. If I find anything out I will let ya know! Don't feel bad about not getting there this year, thats the way it goes with the working world. :)

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, no, the boat still sits in the yard, the hardest thing is finding time these days... i seem to spend my free time turning wrenches on cars these days rather then the boat.

after my last post i was modivated for about a week, and started tracking down a new heat exhanger... Also did some much needed cleanup of the boat.... and thats where its sat to this day.

Gypsysoul, did you ever find anything more on that Safari? It seems i am the only person left with a running database on these boats....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey my friend......good to see you.

hope all is well......

i know stuff gets in the way.....but keep on plugging. ....one hour a day will get it done

cheers
ward

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

yup, started with the twice daily updates, now im lucky to make bi-annual updates here...lol ahhh... maybe summer 2012... :facepalm:

Skagen

Seaman

I hope you finish it. It always makes me sad when an owner doesn't finish a project.

flomerdr

Cadet

Hi Gypsy, It has been a while did you ever get a chance to check out that Safari in theyard? I got involved in some medical issues last winter and the Sea Hawk spent the year sitting on the hard, and with the price of gas at over $4/gal here in WA, I wasn't to motivated to do much with it at that price. I have been looking at upgrading the brakes on my trailer with Carlisle Ind. elector-hydraulic unit and get rid of the original vacuum driven system it originally came with since to vacuum valve is all rusted out. I did get the boat bottom sealed with an epoxy barrier coat and bottom paint using Sea Hawk coatings.

To any other Safari fans out there just to let you know John Carter celebrated his 98th birthday this year and last I heard he is still doing pretty well.

SouthTexan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just saw this thread for the first time today - WOW! You two have a lot to be proud of and have done some top-notch work. Hope to read about a splash sometime in 2012!

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

glad to here some news again. By the time I got back to the insurance yard it was gone. the guys there did not know where it went. but it had been striped of all of its running gear. I can relate to the fuel price. I still work at Borax and run my service truck on the side. diesel is over 4.00 a gallon which makes it hard to justify running the big Pete truck. Have mostly been working on my flying lately. just need to take my written and get some duel instruction night flying and I will be ready for my check ride. I also need to work on my trailer brakes. they are surge and the last time we took Gypsy to Long beach they locked up in the middle of rush hour coming home from work traffic (the 405 freeway) and I had to jump under it in lanes and break open a bleeder to get it home. luckily my truck is big enough to handle the load with out trailer brakes. but would feel more comftorable with them. just remember...spring is just around the corner. maybe a big splash this year? good luck guys.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Gypsy, It has been a while did you ever get a chance to check out that Safari in theyard? I got involved in some medical issues last winter and the Sea Hawk spent the year sitting on the hard, and with the price of gas at over $4/gal here in WA, I wasn't to motivated to do much with it at that price. I have been looking at upgrading the brakes on my trailer with Carlisle Ind. elector-hydraulic unit and get rid of the original vacuum driven system it originally came with since to vacuum valve is all rusted out. I did get the boat bottom sealed with an epoxy barrier coat and bottom paint using Sea Hawk coatings.

To any other Safari fans out there just to let you know John Carter celebrated his 98th birthday this year and last I heard he is still doing pretty well.

WOW 98!

Gas up here on the road is about $4.50 a gallon atm. Not helping build modivation

We were able to sell the original trailer for pretty decent money all things considered. Trailer brakes arent a cheap thing to do... Boat is also a little big to be trailering behind our half ton truck.

glad to here some news again. By the time I got back to the insurance yard it was gone. the guys there did not know where it went. but it had been striped of all of its running gear. I can relate to the fuel price. I still work at Borax and run my service truck on the side. diesel is over 4.00 a gallon which makes it hard to justify running the big Pete truck. Have mostly been working on my flying lately. just need to take my written and get some duel instruction night flying and I will be ready for my check ride. I also need to work on my trailer brakes. they are surge and the last time we took Gypsy to Long beach they locked up in the middle of rush hour coming home from work traffic (the 405 freeway) and I had to jump under it in lanes and break open a bleeder to get it home. luckily my truck is big enough to handle the load with out trailer brakes. but would feel more comftorable with them. just remember...spring is just around the corner. maybe a big splash this year? good luck guys.

It might 'splash' this year.... weather its done when it splashes or not is still up in the air. My parents dont want it in the yard much longer.... I get free annual moorage at the marina i work at, so that wouldnt be an issue. But it does mean getting a few little things done before that can happen. The second leg is all built and sitting in the garage. It needs to be remounted. I made some block-off plates for the Volvo transom sheild exhaust holes that need to be sealed and bolted on. And we need to apply the bottom paint... Brett(my buddy who has been in on this the entire time) and i have been making noises of doing these sorts of things soon!

Meanwhile, i have bought myself another car toy:

374185_10150439992672350_715147349_8522339_457539695_n.jpg

Its a little bit of a pig on gas too with a V12.... but fun as hell on the highways..

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

What year model is that BMW?Looks great.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, here we go!

Got out to the boat today and turned a few wrenches on it for the first time in a long time. Didnt get a ton achieved in the couple hours we had.... but it got the thoughts going again and refreshed us on what needs to be done still... :D

Triton II

Commander

Good to hear... looking forward to more progress on the build. Keep it up guys! :D

TII

sprintst

Commander

Hey. Just saw that car in one of the opening scenes of the Italian Job. Handsome Rob drives that car.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cool ride, glad to hear of some progress. There is a fishing derby at a pretty big lake north of us. I think I am going to go dunk Gypsy in for that one this year. I am very close to having my private pilot license, have been working on that mostly. I may have mentioned it, I picked up a 944 porsche. but I really did not need another project, so I donated it to neighbor boy that was interested in working on it in exchange for some yard work. clean up the Safari and get us some updated pics! lol

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

thats awesome, i want to get my pilot licence one day!

not much to update on, besides the fact the my old web host where i had all the pictures is gone.... i still have all the pictures on my computer.... but need to mass upload them all :/

DaBigKahuna

Recruit

Wow.... it was so very cool to read this thread.

John and Alice Carter were very close family friends. My father, Richard Meredith, was also the Carter's attorney for both personal and business affairs. He was pretty involved with the business end of Carter Marine.

As a child I remember going boating with the Carters in their personal Safari often including trips through Washington and Alaska. I also remember going down to the shop in Costa Mesa and seeing boats in different stages of assembly.

I haven't seen a Safari in probably 30 years. It was great to see all the pics.

I would love to have one of these boats as it's part of my history but the reality of the situation is that I am not a boater by any means and then finding one in pretty decent condition and then storing it in Orange County is not financially feasible.

Unfortunately, I have to report that John recently passed... joining Alice who passed a couple of years ago.

Triton II

Commander

Go for it.

Agreed. Go for it. I got my PPL at 16 and then flew in the military for 13 years. Now in my more senior years, I fly my own little aerobatic bugsmasher just for fun. Boating and flying are a good mix to keep you feeling young and rich, even if the bank balance doesn't reflect that statement! :D
Markstoy.jpg

TII

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Agreed. Go for it. I got my PPL at 16 and then flew in the military for 13 years. Now in my more senior years, I fly my own little aerobatic bugsmasher just for fun. Boating and flying are a good mix to keep you feeling young and rich, even if the bank balance doesn't reflect that statement! :D
Markstoy.jpg

TII

I approve this message. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.