280 Parts questions.

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I have a 280 that I have a few questions about. My outdrive does not have an exhaust flapper on the exhaust outlet, like I have seen on other aq stern drives. At Mason marine's web site, they show one bellow with flap, and one without. Common sense is telling me to get the one with the flap. However, my bellow has a piece that looks like a cross bar, crossing the diameter of the bellow, but no flaps attached to this cross bar. I transported the boat to storage, with the outdrive off, and did not notice the cross bar in the bellow, until I got to the storage facility. Dont know if I lost it while dragging it down the road, or if it never had a flap. Which bellow should I get? My next question, is where to get PDS bearings? Thanks in advance! BTW, I have an '83 AQ225D/280.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 280 Parts questions.

The exhaust flapper on the 280 was on some production drives only and you could not buy this over the counter.
That cross bar in your exhaust bellows is from a flapper that came apart.
Some say that the exhaust bellows flapper is a bit too restrictive for the v-8s.
A 290 drive outlet flapper will work with some modifications. Plus you can keep an eye on it.

The PDS bearings for the red 1 pc housing are 6206 and 6007. You want open bearings and you want to fill the cavity with grease before you put the rear seal in.
The seals are 35x62x7 mm in the TCM or Timken are like the OEM.

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 280 Parts questions.

Thanks Don, Thanks Bill. I am hoping to do the bearings here in the next month or so. As long as time allows me. Thanks again guys!