25hp 2 stroke fuel pump

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm about to service my 2006 25hp Tohatsu outboard and was wondering if it?s a good idea to replace/service the fuel pump .How long do fuel pumps last in general .The motor runs great but just want to keep on top of any maintenance issues as I tend to go on some long distance trips.

Regards Kevin

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's a 2-4 strokes OB. Those fuel pumps are near bullet proof, have never changed one or its internal parts ever. If wanting to last loooonger, while flushing OB ON after use, disconnect OB fuel connectot and let OB die of fuel starvation, the least E-fuel left inside fuel circuit, (fuel pump-carb) the better.

Happy Boating

robert graham

Admiral
Replace the pump with a new one, toss the old one in your boat tool box for a spare....no need to wait for it to fail....same as the water pump...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Both parts are bullet proof, fuel pump doesn't have thin rubber diaphragam inside, have mylar ones which makes the difference for extreme long durability, same with impellers, are not made from rubber, are made from elastomers, the only way ruining one out is with an impeller overheat when lower leg picks a plastic bag, kelp or even a banana peel and runs dry at high rpm without water for minutes. It's entirely up to you if investing on both. Save money and sip some cold ones instead.

Happy Boating

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took your advice Searider and brought some cold ones, may regret it in the morning. I had a fuel pump failure in an old Johnson and didn't want to go through that again, so it?s good to know that the diaphragms are much tougher. I replaced the impellor not long after buying the motor second hand ,it was like new so they either wear really well or it had just been replaced.? I was thinking of taking the carbie off and cleaning it but the motor runs great and when used gets run for about 2 hours on a trip(WOT if conditions allow).I use fresh fuel each time so I'm hoping this will keep carbie clean .I also replaced fuel filter and there wasn't any dirt to be found. So fingers crossed I will continue to have trouble free boating.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
We use those 2 strokes 25-30 OB's for hours use to tow surfers on a daily basis, have OB's with more than 1K continue metered worked hours and not a single impeller nor fuel pump failure. If you remove a original impeller off housing, will see how blades springs back to original shape, that tells much of the quality they are made of, no other brand will be capable of returning to its original shape once removed.

Will recommend to run carb dry of fuel after outing, while flushing OB remove OB fuel connector and let OB die of fuel starvation, carb will be kept cleaner. Being a second hand OB, could remove carb silencer (black protruding part) and while flushing ON with muffs, or on a barrel squirt shots of power tuner to decarbon cylinders, piston, piston rings, follow can intructions. OB will run as a champ..

Happy Boating