250cid Mercruiser water in oil improper winterization

jrouse5

Cadet
Just looking for advice. I have a 78' 19' Steury V-Hull walk through windshield boat Mercruiser 250cid 165hp inline-6 engine. Last year, winter came quick and my father pulled all of the water drain plugs on the engine and manifold and figured it would be ok. Took the boat out today and about 15-20 minutes noticed oil smell. Seemed milky oil mixture was spitting out of the tube that comes out of the valve cover. It has probably what appears to be about 3 quarts extra on the stick now for that amount of run time. Don't know if all plugs were removed or not, I was not there. I have read lots of threads point in all different ways, block, head gasket, risers, manifolds, head..... I am sure it can be any of the above. Question 1: Can the risers/manifolds let that much water into a running engine? Because it didn't have the water in it prior to it being on the water. Question 2: Is it worth messing with or just sell it as is or part it out. Trailor is good tilt style single axle. I only have about $1200 in it or so. Just asking for suggestions to fix it (where to start) or just bail out and what to expect to get out of it. And I know.....already kicked myself, that one has been taken care of........... Thanks in advance all.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 250cid Mercruiser water in oil improper winterization

Just looking for advice. I have a 78' 19' Steury V-Hull walk through windshield boat Mercruiser 250cid 165hp inline-6 engine. Last year, winter came quick and my father pulled all of the water drain plugs on the engine and manifold and figured it would be ok. Took the boat out today and about 15-20 minutes noticed oil smell. Seemed milky oil mixture was spitting out of the tube that comes out of the valve cover. It has probably what appears to be about 3 quarts extra on the stick now for that amount of run time. Don't know if all plugs were removed or not, I was not there. I have read lots of threads point in all different ways, block, head gasket, risers, manifolds, head..... I am sure it can be any of the above. Question 1: Can the risers/manifolds let that much water into a running engine? Because it didn't have the water in it prior to it being on the water.

I don't see the risers being the issue. They could allow water to enter the cylinders and leak down past the rings, but not that much tahe quick.

Question 2: Is it worth messing with or just sell it as is or part it out. Trailor is good tilt style single axle. I only have about $1200 in it or so. Just asking for suggestions to fix it (where to start) or just bail out and what to expect to get out of it. And I know.....already kicked myself, that one has been taken care of........... Thanks in advance all.

Doesn't sound like there is any sentimental attachment to the boat so I would get ride of it for what you can.

jrouse5

Cadet

What would it be worth? 2 Seasons it had new all bellows and gimbal bearing replaced. Other than that i guess the engine components and throttle lever, and trailer would be the parts worth the most money. Is it easy to sell parts like that or try and get rid of the whole thing as a whole? What would be expected to receive out of it now the way it is/ or in parts? Thanks again.

alldodge

Staff member

What would it be worth? 2 Seasons it had new all bellows and gimbal bearing replaced. Other than that i guess the engine components and throttle lever, and trailer would be the parts worth the most money. Is it easy to sell parts like that or try and get rid of the whole thing as a whole? What would be expected to receive out of it now the way it is/ or in parts? Thanks again.

That's the question that varies the most on location. You could probably gets the most money out of it parting out, but this to usually takes a lot more time. If someone want's the trailer then you have a boat sitting, unable to move. Look around and find out what a boat like yours is selling for. You can then decide which way to go. Things such as new gimble and bellows are good for someone needing a gimbal housing or the like, but how many would want to remove your stuff and put on their boat.

Me, I would put it on craigs list and sell the whole thing outright. Then go look for another boat

Good luck

jrouse5

Cadet

Dont know if this matters or not. But i am not sure how much water was mixed with the oil, as it was milky "fluff" so it seemed to be really fluffy. It would appear to be about 3 quarts over full if it was just straight oil in there, but it was really fluffy where it has been ran like that. So not sure the exact amount of water. Also we unbolted the manifold and it looked ok, and was holding water and not leaking into the ports. We also took a radiator pressure tester and pressurized the engine (minus the manifold and the line that comes from the outdrive that supplies fresh water. All that was sealed off, and it had no apparent loss in pressure and we could not hear air anywhere. Our gauge was a little messed up and was bleeding off ever so slightly (it was a small hiss) we had i pressured up for 15 minutes or so, and other than the loss that i believe was from the gauge it did not seem to leak out....... any thoughts on that one? I was expecting to pump air in and hear it come out where it was busted. Do we need to put some oil in the engine and start it for a few minutes and then re-run the pressure test with a warm engine? It just kind of bumfuzzled me when there was no air leaking out of the engine.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You have a cracked block that let water into the oil, and when the level got high enough the crank and rod ends hit it and churned it to a foam. That is what the "fluffy" stuff is a mixture of oil, water and air. You need a new block, might better sell it to someone that wants a project.