25 hp merc Problem with serial #

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Son-in-law just picked up a fishing boat with a 25hp mercury on it. I took the serial number off the plate and told him I'd send him a link for a service manual and where top get parts when he needed them. Any way, The motor is a 1996 25hp mercury twin cylinder. Serial number OG341021. The problem is that serial number is for a 50hp three cylinder at the Boats.net parts search. I search by hp and can't find anything close. If I search by serial number I get 50hp. Anyone have any ideas? I'll give him a call and make sure I got the right number but I'm pretty sure I copied it right.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 25 hp merc Problem with serial #

someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe merc did awsay with 25 hp models around mid 90's and went with a 30 hp model - i believe you have a 1994 mercury 25 hp and not a 96 -at least every chart i looked at doesnt list a 25 hp model past 1994 - and i was able to use your serial number to come up with this .

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, called son-in-law. He's in his shop cleaning up his new (old) boat as I type this. Had him read the info off the motor plate. 1996...25EL....OG341021. Also had him check the number on the plug on side of motor. Same number. Now I'm really confused. Anyone else with any info? I'll take all the help I can get. When I got my 89 merc. 35hp a year ago I did a search on this forum and got a lot of great info. I spent a couple night just reading old posts. Learned a lot and found all the things I needed to know about that old motor. Thought I could do the same for the kid. Someone has to know what he's got. I'll get it sorted out.

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really don't know. That starts with "OP32550 & up" I would think that OG would be before OP. But..... what do I know.
I did find this so I know they exist.

1996 25 HP
25EL
This 25 horsepower outboard, manufactured in 1996, is a saltwater model. The engine weight is recorded at 112 lbs. This is a 2 cylinder model. The displacement for the pistons is 24.4. The bore for this outboard is 2.56 inches and the stroke is 2.38 inches. This engine has power steering and a electric-type starter.

Serial Number: OG286100

RPM Information: 5000-6000
Your engine's RPM range is important in choosing the right propeller for a given application. For example, if you look at your tachometer at top speed and it is not within the engine's RPM range then that is generally not good. You want your RPM's to be within the proper range while at wide open throttle (WOT). Be sure to do your testing under your normal boating conditions and with a good propeller (not bent, cracked, or excessively chipped)........................

There's my OG serial number (OG341021) So, there must be a factory shop manual out there someplace. I'll find it.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe merc did away with 25 hp models around mid 90's ....

You're wrong... Merc have been making a 25 since 1980... and still do.

...There's my OG serial number (OG341021) So, there must be a factory shop manual out there someplace. I'll find it.

Your serial number comes up as a 1996 25EL. Electric start, long shaft.

Download the manual HERE. Password for the file is <<ribforum>>.

Chris........

Chris.............

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate the link but must not be to brite. Don't know how to use the password. Downloaded something twice without it but couldn't open it. Got a "not supported or corrupt" message. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I was just getting use to windows XP when it crashed. Had to buy a new pc. This new operating system is suppose to be easier. Right.