25 HP johnson wont go into gear

freshwater20

Cadet
I have ,well I had a 1974 Johnson 25hp motor, I had to sell it cause it was a SS and I needed a LS I had it all tuned up and it ran great went into gear fine, well I sold it today and I did a demo for the guy who bought it and he was happy, I then get a call from him saying there was a problem with the motor, he said he was out on the lake and the motor would not go into gear no forward or reverse. I had not had a problem with that at all. What would cause it not to go into gear?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 25 HP johnson wont go into gear

Shift linkage became disconnected? You are going to have to do some troubleshooting. Drive pin/prop problem, could he have hit something with the prop?

freshwater20

Cadet

I talked to him and asked if the shift lever moves freely and he said yes it moves freely, How would I check to see if the linkage came disconnected?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Start by removing #13 in the breakdown below, and see if the linkage came out of the brass connector underneith. Item #37 comes down from the shifter itself, use a pair of needle nose pliers and hold on to it and try shifting the shifter. If you can shift the shifter and #37 doesn't move, you may have problems under the power head.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...nown&isFrPG=false&forItemCode=&pCode=C0090885

freshwater20

Cadet

OK I will try this and see if that is the problem.
Thanks