25 hp for trolling ?? E-Tech or Mercury

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25 hp for trolling ?? E-Tech or Mercury

yes thank you for correcting my steelpike. i have talked to a etec guy before he said the only difference in the 40-60hp range of gas and computers thats it maybe a few other small things and other have higher rpm ranges some dont.

yes carbed two strokes r very very light!!!

i wasnt sure about the weight on the 25-30 i thought they just did the same thing as the 40-60hp. ill tell u this right now ill give anything to have an etec but ill change my mind when i see the tag :eek: mercs r nice i got one my self a 1961 500merc not many parts for it anymore thought so lol.

I have a 65 Merc 500 on my 57 18' Crestliner Buccaneer.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I vote Tohatsu 25HP 2 strokes if you can get one

pvanv

Admiral

Regarding the power curves, I was referring to the manufacturers' published data, and my personal experience with heavily-loaded rigs. Of course this setup will not be "heavily" loaded... so my apologies to SSpike.

I can't imagine buying a "new" Merc 25 carbed 2-stroke today, hence the reference to the 3-cylinder Tohatsu/Nissan/Merc EFI unit, which has a pretty flat power curve. Considering that both the E-tec and the T/N/M are injected motors, I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

FWIW, I've got a 8 and a 15 2 stroke merc and can't say enough good about them. Reliable, durable and predictable. I've run my 15 on a 14' glass skiff ( for 12+ years) and get trolling speeds just fine. ( I just run the rpm's up in a short run every hour or so to keep the plugs clean.) How a 25 trolls on your boat will depend somewhat on the boat but I would argue that you can prop it to a lower pitch to slow it down. Just watch/set your upper rpm limit. Going from a 9.9 to a 25, your not going to be hurting for top end. I'd also point out that the merc is going to be 1/2 the price AND allot less weight than the Etec. If I wern't concerned with local lake restrictions or other "gotta haves" like power tilt, I'd definatly opt for the left voer 2 stroke Merc at that (sweet) price.
Having said that, i just ordered a 30 hp Tohatsu ( 4 stroke, injected)becasue I wanted PT&T and a bit more juice for my new boat. A $2K 25 Merc likely would have swayed me though.