24ft cabin cruiser too big to tow or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: 24ft cabin cruiser too big to tow or not?

At some marinas, if your boat is on a trailer they will launch and retrieve the boat for you, you just pay a yearly fee and they keep it in their yard for you.
(some times there is an extra fee for the launch and retrieval)

Kens242REGAL

Cadet

I tow my Sea Ray 268 with a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup twice a year; once in, once out. I figure it is somewhere between 7000 and 8000lbs with the trailer, fuel, junk etc. She tows it fine, but you definetly don't forget that it's back there. Launching is ok with 1 person to help. I would not want to tow, or launch anything that size every weekend.

I have a 242 Regal 1999, weight is 5600 lbs fuelled up on traler. I tug it with my 3/4 ton short box HD 4x4. Can become bouncy but on the highway its fine. I think a half ton is one the side of being a bit light,my truck has the HD traler package as well heavier springs and the trailer tranny setting.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 95 f 150 towing a 91 23 foot sundowner is it fun to tow? no. do i stop, yes. so do i replace my brakes every year? almost. i am guessing your truck is going to drive off scared when you get out to put that trailer on it.

as for launching and retrieving it i went from a 17 open bow to a 23 foot cuddy didnt notice any differnce between speed as far as launching goes.
prep the same
back in the same
tie off to the dock the same
only diffence is some docks arent long enough for a 23+ boat and you need to tie bow off, pull trailer up, readjust bow line, tie off center cleat to dock, then park
once you've done it 3-4 times its a 2-3 minuite process just make sure your boat is tied to something or you'll be swimming LOL!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I tow my Sea Ray 268 with a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup twice a year; once in, once out. I figure it is somewhere between 7000 and 8000lbs with the trailer, fuel, junk etc. She tows it fine, but you definetly don't forget that it's back there. Launching is ok with 1 person to help. I would not want to tow, or launch anything that size every weekend.

I'd say you're underestimating your total weight. What does the Searay site (model archives) say about your boat's weight? The information is right there.

My 24' Chris*Craft 240 EC (Express), like the 240 dancer and 245 SB in the OP's post, weighed in at 5250 dry according to C*C. My dual axle Tidewater roller trailer weighed 1700-something. Add in some fuel, water and stuff and I was at 7500 lbs. easy. I bought a 3/4 ton Ram to haul it. Worked fine.

My .02

Jat101

Cadet

Just found this:
Whittley CR 2165 , it has the look I want and appears to have an aft cabin, v berth couches, sink, fridge, head behind enclosed curtain. All at 21 feet and a trailer weight of just over 4000lbs.
whittleys website stinks, the specs wouldn't load and not any pictures of the head, or seating arrangements on deck. I had to google the specs so I hope they are right. This seems trailerable and a good over nighter, but I don't know a thing about Whittley's.....any one got any thumbs up or downs on this boat or boat MFG?
thanks

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd say you're underestimating your total weight. What does the Searay site (model archives) say about your boat's weight? The information is right there.

My 24' Chris*Craft 240 EC (Express), like the 240 dancer and 245 SB in the OP's post, weighed in at 5250 dry according to C*C. My dual axle Tidewater roller trailer weighed 1700-something. Add in some fuel, water and stuff and I was at 7500 lbs. easy. I bought a 3/4 ton Ram to haul it. Worked fine.

My .02

You could be right. The owners manual says 5500 lbs, I was guessing my dual axle trailer was 1200 to 1500 lbs, I might be light on that.

emoney

Commander

Looks they're from Australia. Did you go to the Whittley Marine webpage?;
http://whittleymarine.com/
As for the marina question; a lot of them around here anyway, offer both wet and dry slips. They will use a forklift to launch your boat for you as part of the rental agreement. It's a real easy way to operate if the monthly rental isn't out of your budget. You call them a couple hours before (or day before), tell them who you are and that you'll be there at say 10:00am, and when you get there, boat's in the water slip waiting on you to take off. Then, when you're done, drive up and they'll pick it up, and set it on a cleaning station for you to flush, rinse and unload. You go home, they handle the rest. Shop around, you may find one of those if you decide to keep her at the dock.

emoney

Commander

Yeah, the last update on that website was 02/09, so I'd bet they are "no more"

Australian magazine test article;
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/reviews/2006/whittley/whittley-clearwater-2165-cruiser-8744

(probably found that already).

It looks like a nice boat, and since there's no warranty anyway, that's one that's up to you. I think it's best to have a boat that new and in that price range "surveyed". It's the safest way to know what you've got especially if you don't have a lot of experience in what you're looking for.

Jat101

Cadet

yeah probably....no one has really heard of them from what I have been asking.
I wonder if any other US companies like that:
cabin, enclosed head, sink, all under 22 feet and weighing under 5000 on a trailer. That is perfect for me but so hard to find.
I may just have to buy trade my truck up a size and go 24 ft aft cabin cruiser, but I like being able to store at my house and trailer and launch to save some dough

emoney

Commander

You know, that's kind of a rare bird with all the amenities in that size range. It looks like a grand idea on the surface, though, since that seems to fill a "niche" when it comes to cruisers. Lots of 24' and up, but not much with all the stuff you'd like, in that size anyway.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do you have room at home for an old truck/van? Lots of old 3/4's out there for a tow unit.

elvyboy007

Recruit
Do you remember the scene in JAWS, when Richard Dreyfus said..."Your gonna need a bigger boat"? now...just revers that to read..."your gonna need a bigger truck"
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.