24ft cabin cruiser too big to tow or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jat101

Cadet
Hi All,
I am a newbie and thinking of purchasing either a Sea Ray 240 Sundancer or a Bayliner 245 SB Cruiser. Both are just under 25ft....24.5ft to be exact. Both boats weigh about 5,300 Lbs. My truck a 2006 Nissan Frontier Nismo is rated to tow just 6,500lbs max.
would a trailer put me over my towing limit?

Also, would it be a nightmare to try and launch a 24ft boat a a local boat ramp? it is very wide and long, 8ft deep minimum dredge.
thanks everyone.
I would not like the costs of using a marina, so maybe this boat is too big for my lifestyle right now

emoney

Commander
Re: 24ft cabin cruiser too big to tow or not?

I think that's way too big for that truck. The trailer will weigh over 1000lbs and you haven't put fuel and/or any gear in the boat. Pulling it won't be the big problem, it's stopping it and then trying to back it down a ramp. Search for "ramp mishaps" on Youtube and you'll see what I'm getting at.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is a big boat for that truck. Like emoney said, you have to remember trailer weight, gas, gear. Then there is the extra people in your truck. Remember, people in your truck take away some from your overall capacity to stop that rig.

I have launched a 5000lb boat with a 1974 CJ5 on a very familiar ramp at the marina where I store my boat. I put it in low 4wd and it did fine. I had a 450hp V8 in it though and I would never have tried it at an unfamiliar ramp. At that point it is not the power or the brakes, but more the fact that the boat weighs more than the tow vehicle and can drag you right into the water. I wouldnt have dreamed of towing it anyplace though.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

a braked trailer is a must as well as being of 4 wheel braked too.if its not available and you want a boat of this size down grade your car to being an economical diesel and this will help with marina and running costs in the long term.

Jat101

Cadet

thanks, I may have to just let my dream of a cruiser cabin go for awhile as I think, I would like to trailer and launch a boat rather than marina dock.
appreciate the replies

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

As others have suggested that is probably too much boat for that truck.... The boat however is easy towable but a bigger truck is likely in order.... If in doubt have the seller tow it to a truck stop or other place with a scale and weigh it..... While gas weighs less, a good figure for gas and gear is 10 lb per gallon of capacity.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No way I would tow either boat with that truck.

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

Frontiers (even Nismo) are like any other mid size- they fall flat on their faces with more than 2k behind them. As for the boat- Bayliner and Searay is no comparison- Searay for sure! Get a bigger truck- 1/2 ton would do it with no sweat.

emoney

Commander

Shoot, I wouldn't give up on the dream, I'd just expand it to included "A Cabin Cruiser AND a new Diesel 4x4 Quad Cab truck!"

cribber

Lieutenant

What Emoney said!!! I have the same predicament... I'd like a bigger boat but I need to uprade my tow vehicle 1st. Maybe you'll luck out and find a package deal out there. Good luck!!!

bekosh

Lieutenant

Either one of those boats will upwards of 8000lb loaded up on a trailer. No way the Frontier is up to it.
That's close to needing a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton even.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's close to needing a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton even.
I believe the same thing. I have a 24' cuddy cabin boat and the Chevy 1/2T is on its edge with that. The boats that the OP is considering are even heavier.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tow my Sea Ray 268 with a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup twice a year; once in, once out. I figure it is somewhere between 7000 and 8000lbs with the trailer, fuel, junk etc. She tows it fine, but you definetly don't forget that it's back there. Launching is ok with 1 person to help. I would not want to tow, or launch anything that size every weekend.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Ok then, what the other guys said!

And to add, you are going to need a tandem axle trailer due to the weight.
(5300 pounds plus trailer 1200-1500+- pounds plus gear and fuel ETC)
The sundancer probably needs 24 inches of water to float off the trailer, 36 inches to drop the drive.

Jat101

Cadet

wow, great advice everyone....so glad I joined this forum.
I think I will keep the dream alive for a 240 Sea Ray Sundancer (bye bye bayliner Idea....have heard bad things)....Just have to upgrade my truck.

or go for a lighter cuddy cabin that has an enclosed head that is a pump out.........can anyone recommend one?

my main goal is to be able to use the bathroom and comfortable sleeping for 2.......while getting something I can tow and launch rather than marina.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just go out and buy a big dually pickup now; then you can buy the boat you really want. I wish I had done that, as I'm now on the ragged edge of towing and can't feed my 3 foot itis. :facepalm:

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Delete....misread original post... sorry

Jat101

Cadet

so if I were to buy a 24ft cruiser without a trailer and store at a marina, would the marina take care of towing and putting into the water?
so I would never have to two it there in the first place?
can someone walk me through the buying of a 24footer without trailer to getting her in the water?
I don't know a thing about Marinas......it may be worth the extra 2-5K for the boat I want to place it at a marina all year and never have to trailer, launch, retrieve.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Towed my 26' carver flybridge cruiser sometimes 3-4 times a week.... I could usually launch and retrieve as fast or faster than anyone else on the ramp by myself.... no big deal at all.....

You can have a pump out head in a little cuddy..... basically a porta potty with a pump out hose built in.... the only thing is that you have to fill the fresh water portion..... that said.... you WILL want a bigger boat eventually so going with the 24+ right off the bat will save you from selling a 19'er next spring..... FWIW I will be trailering my 28'er. (10' 6" wide) I don't consider it to be any more of an inconvenience than trailering any other boat.

Jat101

Cadet

sounds like I need you with me the first couple times I trailer and launch......haha.
thanks for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.