225hp johnson carb question

Breynolds

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1991 JTLEIC 225 hp that I am redoing the carbs on. I am doing this for 2 reasons it leaks gas on some of the bowls and it will not stay running at idle. It will fire right back up when it dies. I suspect the idle problem is a badly engineered side plate. I will use a fender washer under the middle screw when I put it back together. The main question I need answered is about the orifice sizing. I was getting ready to order parts and I noticed that this motor calls for a .55 mid range orifice. The carbs have .47s in them. .33 for idle. The motor runs good once you get past idle rpm. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? The motor is new to me and I do not know its history. Any ideas on why they may have changed them? I need to know if I should order the larger ones when I get my rebuild kits. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 225hp johnson carb question

if you are tilting the motor, the carbs are out of level, and will overflow. (leak) you do not say where you are, specs are for sea level boats, if in higher elevations, they jets could have been change to accomodate atmosphere.

Breynolds

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 225hp johnson carb question

I am in Kentucky but the boat came from Michigan. You think it is worth the time to order the right ones?