225 Merc oil pump drive gear

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
I own a '95 225 XRI EFI since new. It has a ligit. 500 hours on it. I have had very little trouble w/ it in the 10 seasons I have it, I don't usually beat on it, & do all my own work, as I have been a auto, truck, & Equipment mechanic for the last 35 years. I read a few posts here about the oil pump drive gear, I have had no trouble so far w/ mine. Should I think about changing mine, is there an upgrade, or should I just hope for the best w/ this one. Is this the same job before & after it the gear goes bad? I haven't looked at the service manual yet, as I just became aware of this potential problem this morning when I first found this forum. Thanks for any Info.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 225 Merc oil pump drive gear

Post your serial number... we'll check bulletins for you...

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe the serial # is 1225413RD 06245497, Those are the #'s on the card that came w/ the engine. Thanks, Joe

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not inspect it Joe ?<br />From what I've read theyre made of plastic & do strip out when rust is present by the drive gear due to lack of fogging spray while winterizing.<br />Another thing I've heard is it seems to happen with motors the run WOT very often.<br />Another tip, something I just did to mine is most oil injection faliure is due to the plastic tubes { oil lines } drying out & cracking, easy to change. <br />I was going to yank mine but changed my mind.<br />When I get a chance I may pull the pump & inspect mine this year to be on the safe side..<br />Another thing some people do is run 100-1 ratio oil in the gas tank as a backup & dont WOT it this will prevent the engine from blowing if the inj. fails as the oil inj. ratio varies from 100-1 @ idle to 50-1 @ WOT anyways & it shouldnt produce too much excess smoke & carbon.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have no problem with it now, my thought is when I have the pump out for inspection, should I just replace the gear, or is the gear that goes bad not on the pump? I've taken pretty good care of this engine, I have flushed it w/ salt away after every use, use only 89 octane fuel, Merc premium plus oil, some form of carbon guard w/ every tank of gas, & power tune every year. should I pull this & look at the gear, & is there an upgrade(bronze or brass) gear. Thank You, Joe

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No bulletins stand out. <br /><br />If it were my engine, I'd...<br /><br />Rebuild the fuel pump(just for good measure)<br />Replace the fuel primer bulb(use the "Mercury" one with the yellow identifier)<br />Replace the oil line running from the oil pump to the fuel line<br />Replace the oil check valve while you're at it.<br />Remove the oil pump and inspect the gearshaft. <br />Replace the plastic drive bushing.<br />Replace the oil "feed" line.<br /><br />If everything looks ok after that, then run it without fear.

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive seen the drive gear listed @ the Merc express site & theyre cheap.<br />This cant be too hard of a job to change, I would be tempted just to put in a new one every couple years.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Drive gear replacement requires complete powerhead teardown [The gear is pressed on the crankshaft]. Just remove pump and inspect the driven shaft for any plastic shards. There's an electronic pump drive aftermarket replacement for ~$325 if you have a problem and want to retain the oil injection system and alarms.

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

my '94 40 hp the oil pump drive gear is right behind the pump, guess these high HP brutes are different

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank You to all, as I said I don't have a problem, but will be looking at this now before it becomes trouble. What would be the normal cause of this? Anything further is also welcome. Thanks again, Joe

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

without checking the manual I belive the gear is the two pice nylon one that goes about the center of the crank. I dont think any of the V mercs used a press on gear. but as long as proper storage procedures are used)storage over 30 days) they usually live a lot longer than the cheesy vynil oil lines. a quick look at your service manual will tell ya.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, to all. I checked the service manual, for the info. took a look at the pump drive & what I could see of the drive gear, all looked fine. Again Thank You, Joe